Tuesday, March 30

Oats Idli

I learned, Oats help in reducing cholesterol problems. This time when I knew for JFI it is healthy breakfast. I thought of making Oats idli. I was skeptical though whether they would turn out good. I seriously wanted to give it a try and see, why not learn on trial and error basis. First time I used only oats to make idlis but they turned out like kudumulu, little tough and not spongy. So I changed and used wheat rava to make slightly soft idlis. With chutney or sambar they are really good.

Here is how I made them:

Oats and Wheat Rawa Idlis Served with Andhra Avakaya

1 cup Urad dal
1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds
1 1/2 cups Oats (toast them slightly on medium flame and then grid them into coarse powder like rawa)
1 1/2 cups Wheat rawa (in the same pan on heat I slightly heated rawa also)
Salt as per taste

1. Wash and soak urad dal and fenugreek seeds for 5 to 6 hours.
2. Soak oats rawa and wheat rawa with just little enough water for the same number of hours.
3. Drain water and grind urad dal into a smooth paste
4. Mix it with the soaked rawa and add salt as per taste.
5. Let it ferment for overnight.
6. Next day morning grease the idli molds and pour the batter into each mold. And cook them in the pressure cooker with out whistle for 18 to 20 minutes.
7. Take out the lid of the cooker and let the idlis cook a little bit before removing them into a plate.
8. Serve it with any chutney of your choice.

I may want to make 2 cups wheat rawa and 1 cup oats rawa and see if the idlis will turn out more fluffy next time when I make. If they remain the same then I want to revert back and use the above mention proportion. Stay tuned to know the verdict after change.


This is my contribution to JFI-Healthy Breakfasts being hosted by Suma of Veggie Platter, originally started by Indira of Mahanandi and also to Vegetable Marathon - Beans hosted by Silpa of Anita's Kitchen

6 comments:

Suma Gandlur said...

Thanks Hima for the healthy entry. Where were you all these days? I also didn't know that you were behind the other blog too. :)
Hope to see you around.

kitchen queen said...

the oats idlis look so perfect and healthy and inviting.

Hari Chandana said...

Wow... Healthy and tasty recipe.. thanks for sharing!!

Malar Gandhi said...

Perfect healthy idlies.:)

Deepti Sidana said...

Thanks Hima for sharing such a wonderful recipe,Going to try it very soon.
http://a-hint-of-spice.blogspot.com/






Dr.Sameena Prathap
said...

Hi Hima,

Lovely healthy breakfast...love oats..posted oats laddoo last week..:)

Dr.Sameena@

http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More