Monday, September 15

Baked Bread Rolls

I had Natures own 7 Whole Grains bread in my refrigerator and was close to expiration date. I was making Grill cheese sandwich or toast it and eat with cream cheese. But still had more than half the packet so I planned to make these bread rolls. These are usually deep fried in oil, but I wanted a healthier version with healthy bread. So, I baked them. They were not too crispy but were good enough to have them as snack. Here is the recipe:


For Stuffing:

2 medium potatoes
1 small onion
1/4 cup green peas
2 green chillies
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
2 tsp coriander-cumin powder
1/2 tsp amchur powder
salt as per taste
a pinch turmeric powder
1/2 tsp channa dal
1/2 tsp urad dal
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
few curry leaves

1. Peel and boil potatoes in salted water. Drain and keep them aside.

2. Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and add channa dal, urad dal and mustard seeds. When the dals turn golden brown colour add curry leaves, green chillies, onion and saute until onion is transluscent.

3. Add the ginger-garlic paste, coriander cumin powder, amchur powder, turmeric and saute for couple more minutes.

4. Add boiled potatoes and stir well until everything is well blended. Mash the potatoes with the back of the spoon slightly. Add little salt and mix well.

For Bread rolls:

8 slices of Bread (you can use any bread of your choice)
water to dip the bread

Dip each slice of bread in water and immediately squeeze out the water. Place a big spoon full of curry in the middle of the bread and roll it to cover the curry. Place it on a non-stick cookie pan. Make sure the rolled ends are placed down so that they don't open up. Continue the same procedure with the rest of the bread slices.

Pre-heat oven at 375 degrees F. In the mean time place the bread rolls in the refrigerator. Once the oven is ready, coat each bread roll with little oil and place them in the oven. Bake for about 30 minutes. Set the oven to broil and place the bread rolls on the top of the rack and wait for just few seconds. This is to bring little colour to the top of the bread rolls. Hot hot bread rolls are ready to be snacked on.


This goes to my own event Sunday Snacks with the theme Bake it.

I would like to send this to Dhivya vikram of Dil se for her event called Diet Foods. To make it more healthier and to add protien to them, make the stuffing with some legumes or with paneer or tofu.

16 comments:

easycrafts said...

Nice utilisation of the bread..unfortunately since I dont have an oven to bake, i wont be able to participate in ur event

Priti said...

Hey this looks interesting and so healthy...wonderful recipe...

Divya Vikram said...

Great healthy snack girl..Thanks for the entry..

Madhavi said...

Nice entry, this rolls look delicious and thank you so much for droppin' by @ my blog, keep in touch!!!

myspicykitchen said...

i deep fry my bread rolls and baking is indeed a good alternative to deep frying...

SriLekha said...

wow! that's a nice recipe with bread! dum aloo recipe is also so good!
come and join in the chicken event going in my blog!

Vij said...

Hi ya
This is my first time here...
the bread looks so tempting....

i am pretty new to this blogging world....jus popped in to say my big hi!

Uma said...

oooh! these bread rolls look soooo delicious Hima!

Divya said...

Hima, I love the baked roll recipe. I normally make the same thing on a pan and then transfer them to the baking sheet to get that golden crispy texture.
BTW, I just sent my dish to your event.

Dershana said...

Hi Hima, first time here. Your baked bread roll picture looks lovely.

I've always avoided bread rolls because they are deep fried, now I can try your baked version. Will try and send something for your event.

Sia said...

Hima, that is simply brillient.

VEGETABLE PLATTER said...

simple lovely recipe

raaji said...

nice recipe...perfect for evening

kamala said...

Looks so healthy Hima...perfect for teatime..

Shreya said...

what a great snack, love the bread rolls. I love bread in any form, only problem is I havent baked yet:-(

Sunshinemom said...

Used to have a lot of these in the fried form many years back! Like the baked version:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More