Saturday, August 23

Palak Paneer

As I said earlier in one of posts, Palak Paneer is one of my favorite paneer dish. But I like the that it is served in restaurants at Hyderabad, not the Saag paneer that we get here in USA. It is too bland or rather sweet to my taste buds. So, I had to make it at home according to my requirements to satisfy my taste buds. Here is the recipe that I came up with:

200 grms paneer ( I used fried paneer)
1 big bunch Spinach (blanch in plenty of water, drain and make a puree of it)
1 small onion finely minced
1 medium tomato (blanch a bit, remove skin and make a puree of it)
1 big serrano pepper or 2-3 green chillies
1 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp kasuri methi
1 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp oil
1/3 cup evaporated milk
salt as per taste


Slightly fry paneer and put them in hot water so that they will remain soft.

Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. When they splutter add onion and green chillies. Saute until the onion turns golden brown colour. Now add ginger garlic paste, coriander powder, turmeric powder and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add tomato puree, red chilli powder and cook until the oil leaves the gravy. Add spinach puree, crushed kasuri methi, salt and cook covered until the whole gravy leaves oil and everything is well blended. Add paneer, garam masala and evaporated milk and turn off the heat. Let it be on the stove until the stove cools off.

Enjoy palak paneer with any indian bread. It tastes great when you squeeze a lime and serve with a slice of onion. I served them with plain phulkas.

This is off to EC of Simple Indian Food for her WYF-Colour in Food event.

6 comments:

Medhaa said...

I Love Palak Paneer too, but never liked the ones in retaurants, I loved the way mama used to cook it and now I too make it the same way.

Looks Yumm

Jayashree said...

Palak paneer served in restaurants usually has rubbery paneer and a ton of fat in it. I like the look of your curry.

david santos said...

Great posting. Great menu and good food.
Congratulations.

Priti said...

I love palak paneer...your looking just perfect..me too dont like this restaurants as it always doesnt taste too...great entry

easycrafts said...

This looks truly delicious..thanks for participating

Umm Salihah said...

Hi,
Thanks for this recipe. A colleague of mine loves palak paneer, so I have forwarded a link to this to her.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More