Wednesday, August 13

Channa Masala

Thanks to all my food blog buddies who took time to visit my blog and wished me and my little one. That is so touching. We named him Venkata Harsha. So now I have a girl and a boy. The picture is complete.

Coming to recipe, while I was in hyderabad, whenever I go out to eat, I use to order Palak paneer and paneer butter masala. Thats it, never tried any other dishes at all. After coming to US I could never order saag paneer as it is too sweet and bland for my taste level. So I had an empty slot to fill with various other recipes to try. Of those Channa masala has become one of our favorites to me and my husband. I decided to make it at home to host a party on last sunday and guess what it was a grand success. So, I am here by sharing the recipe that I made with success:


Channa Masala:



1 can chickpeas
1 tea bag
1 medium onion
2 medium tomatoes
1 big serrano pepper or 2-3 green chillies
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 tbsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
couple of bay leaves
1/4 tsp red chilli powder
1 1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
salt as per taste
chopped cilantro to garnish
1 lime
2 tbsp oil

1. Drain the chickpeas from the can, wash under running water thoroughly and take into a bowl. Fill with water to cover the chickpeas, drop a tea bag and cook until the chickpeas absorb a nice colour from the tea. Make sure they do not get too mushy. They should be soft and still hold their shape.

2. Heat a tbsp of oil in a pan and add chopped onion, green chillies. Cook until onion turns into golden brown colour.

3. Add ginger garlic paste and cook until raw smell is gone. To this add coriander powder, turmeric powder and cook for a minute and then add chopped tomatoes. Cover and cook until tomatoes are completely cooked. Take this entire mixture into a blender and blend into a fine paste. I used food processor for this procedure.

4. Heat the remaining oil in the same pan add cumin seeds and bay leaves. When the cumin seeds start spluttering add the above mixture. Add salt and red chilli powder and cook until the gravy leaves oil.

5. Now add the cooked channa to the gravy and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes to blend all the flavors together.

6. Before turning off the heat sprinkle garam masala and mix it well. Garnish with chopped cilantro and squeeze a lime if you want sour taste to the dish.


Voila channa masala is ready to be served with hot hot bhaturas. I will post my bhatura recipe very soon. Hope you will enjoy this as much as we all enjoyed it.

Off this goes to Srivalli of Cooking 4 All Seasons for her Curry Mela event.

Oh btw! I have also been showered with Brilliant Web Blog award by EC of Simple Indian Food and Trupti of Recipe Center.

I pass this on to all my food blog buddies who take time to visit my site and encourage me to cook more delicious varieties of dishes.

9 comments:

Priti said...

Tht's a nice name..so do you call him Venkat or Harsh? Channa Masala looking delicious...I'm sure your guest enjoy it..I too have posted Chole in my blog. & Congrats for award..

Meera said...

Congratulations on the arrival of your little bundle of joy!!
Chana masala looks delicious!

homecooked said...

Congratulations! Do post a pic of your baby :) The dish looks great!

Jayashree said...

Congratulations.....Enjoy your little one. What do you call him?

Sameera.. said...

Congratulations on your lil' bundle of joy :)
The chana masala looks so temtping..I will def try it :)
Best Rgds,
Sam !

Cham said...

That is a sweet name. Nice curry to the event.

Cynthia said...

Congratulations on the precious little one that has been added to your family and also the award!

Daily Meals said...

Nice name...chana masala looks yummy...Congrats on your award Hima!

Maya said...

Congrats on your little one and your awards too..Thank u for stopping by at my blog and leaving ur comment too :)..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More