Friday, June 27

Arusuvai Friendship Chain - Garam Masala and Goda Masala

I received two secret ingredients from dear Trupti Pawar of Recipe Center quite a long back. I could guess one correct but went wrong with the other one. I never got a chance to cook with them till today as I haven't been going into kitchen for a while. My mom is here to cook for me :-)

Finally I took time to cook two wonderful dals with these two wonderful masala powders. I must say I was so impressed with their fresh flavor and aroma. Thanks trupti for making me part of the friendship chain and thanks for those awesome masala powders. I will note down the recipes and will have them with me forever.



Here is one dal that I made with the Garam masala powder: Dal Makhani


1/2 cup whole urad dal
2 tbsp red kidney beans
1 small onion chopped
2 green chillies finely chopped
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
2 large tomatoes pureed
2 tsp coriander cumin powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp butter (I used smart balance)
salt as per taste
chopped coriander leaves for garnish

1. Wash and soak the dals together overnight. Pressure cook dals with sufficient water.

2. In a wide non-stick pan heat oil and add onion and green chillies. Saute onion until it turns golden brown in colour, add ginger garlic paste, coriander cumin powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and saute for a minute.

3. Now add tomato puree and cook until the gravy leaves the oil. Add the cooked dals and salt and cook until everything blends well together.

4. Before turning off the heat add garam masala powder and butter. Mix well and after a minute, turn off heat.

5. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves(cilantro) and serve with soft phulkas/chapathis.

Here the second dal that I made with Goda Masala with Garlic and Onion: Varan (Maharashtrian Dal)



1/2 cup Toor dal
1 small onion
1 tomato
2 green chillies finely chopped
2 tsp Goda masala
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 small piece of jaggery
coriander leaves to garnish
salt to taste

1. Wash and pressure cook toor dal with sufficient water.

2. Heat oil in a pan and mustard seeds and asafoetida. When mustard seeds splutter add chopped onion and green chillies. Let them turn golden brown in colour and then add turmeric powder and Goda masala. Saute for a minute and then add the cooked toor dal.

3. Add 1/4 cup water, jaggery, salt and cook until everything blends well together.

4. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with soft phulkas/chapathis or rice.

I was so happy with the results of both the dals. I once again thank trupti for considering me and promise to continue the chain by sending one of my fellow food blogger couple of secret ingredients. It might take some time for me but will sure keep my promise.

9 comments:

Cham said...

Both dhals are looking so tasty :) Great way to use those ingredients

TBC said...

I have been planning to make dal makhani for a long time now. Must get around to making it.
Yours has a nice color and looks very creamy.

Divya Vikram said...

nice use of the masalas..

Trupti said...

Hey Hima..both dishes looks delicious. I am glad that you liked both spices.

Sagari said...

delecious recipes with masalassss

Andhra Flavors said...

first dhaal looking different. Great way to use those ingredients

VEGETABLE PLATTER said...

It looks soo heavenly .. amazing recipes

Anisheetu said...

First time here nice blog...

Leon said...

Ooh, I love Dal Makhani.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More