Tuesday, March 18

Maagayi Pappu

I learned this recipe from my mother in law. I never heard about this before getting married. I know that pappu is made with magayi orugulu (Pickled mango pieces), but never heard of pappu made with maagayi pachadi directly. So, I found this interesting and can be easily made instantly. If you are out of any vegetables to cook dal then you can make this.

Here is the recipe:


1 cup Toor dal
3 tbsp Magayi uragayi
Salt as per taste

For tadka:

1/2 tsp urad dal
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
few curry leaves
a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
1 tsp oil

Wash and pressure cook toor dal with enough water. To the cooked dal add the maagayi uragayi. Taste and adjust salt. Heat oil in a pan add tadka ingredients. When mustard seeds splutter add tadka to dal. Enjoy with hot steamed rice or roti.

Here is a pachadi that I made with maagayi earlier.

7 comments:

Dhivya said...

wow!simple nad delicious recipe

DK said...

YUmmmmm! So simple hems yet so droolworthy....I would luv this with my curd rice!

Sreelu said...

Hima, Your post brought back rememberences of my grand parents home, My grand mom used to make this frequently, will try this again

Suma Gandlur said...

I haven't eaten maagayi pachchadi in years. My mouth is watering.
Never heard about this pappu though. Simple and tasty, I bet.

Uma said...

the dal looks good. never tried with magaya. good one.

Cham said...

The dal looks good , never hear before, seems simple :)

Happy cook said...

This is new to me also , looks delicious

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More