Sunday, January 13

Roasted Red Bell Pepper Chutney

I never cooked with Red Bell pepper earlier. I usually cook with green bell pepper cause those are the ones that we usually find in India. So I grew up eating them. As I was not sure about the taste of red and orange bell peppers never bothered to buy them. On my trip to San Fransisco, I happened to eat a panini with roasted bell pepper and eggplant with smoked mozzarella cheese and fresh basil. I can't say in words how good that was. After coming back, I decided to make something out of red bell pepper and then I tried this chutney. Amazingly this is so good.

Here is the recipe for Roasted Red bell pepper chutney:



1 medium red bell pepper
1/4 cup fresh grated coconut
1 small lime size tamarind ball soaked in some hot water.
2 tsp chana dal (senagapappu)
2 tsp urad dal (minappappu)
1 tsp mustard seeds (aavalu)
1 tsp fenugreek seeds (menthulu)
3-4 dry red chillies (endumirapakayalu)
3 green chillies (pachimirapakayalu)
a pinch of asafoetida (hing/inguva)
1 tsp oil
salt as per taste
a pinch turmeric powder

1. Wash and pat dry the red bell pepper. Rub on it with some oil and set it into the broiler to roast it on all sides.

2. Heat oil in a pan and chana dal, urad dal, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, red chillies, green chillies and asafoetida. When dals turn golden brown and mustard seeds splutter, turn off stove and take them into a blender. Blend to make them smooth paste with tamarind, salt, turmeric and coconut.

3. Remove red bell pepper out of the broiler and let it cool enough so that you can easily peel the skin off. Add the peeled red bell pepper to the blender and blend until everything comes together and forms a smooth chutney.

You can serve this with hot rice/dosai/idlis. Enjoy.

12 comments:

Rajitha said...

i love red-bell pepper..and have eaten them as spreads..but never thought of making them at home..lovely color!

Namratha said...

Looks great Hima!

Richa said...

lovely!
for a quick version u can try those roasted peppers in the jar :)

vimmi said...

Thats a great fusion recipe. i havent tried roasted red peppers either. will try the CHUTNEY AND THE PANINI ALso

TBC said...

I make red bell pepper chutney all the time after I came across a recipe for that on Indira's blog. It IS such a great tasting chutney. Now I have to try your roasted version.

KayKat said...

This looks delicious! I'm a big fan of bell pepper, just tried it as a flavour in some soy pancakes I made last night.

Jyothsna said...

I've made bell pepper chutney seeing it on Indira's blog. Yours seems good too!

Daily Meals said...

Never tried chutney with bell pepper...looks yummy...

Pravs said...

chutney looks so tempting to try.

Pooja said...

Nice idea of making chutney of red bell pepper, i have already one in my fridge, will try it today itself :))

sagari said...

new chutney recipe hima thanks for sharing

DK said...

Good one Hima..I use red peppers a lot since it contains more nutrients than green.

Anyways Your comment on my blog actually made me think twice! I have always had to struggle in my life 10 times more to get something which others wud get easy! so Lucky is one word which I never think of associating with me! But what u said is true too..I struggle in one, but god gives me something else v positively! so probably as you say, I am lucky that way! hahaha.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More