Thursday, January 10

Ragda Patties

I have been cooking all through this break time but never took interest in posting them. Rather I must say I din't make any special recipes that are worth sharing. Last sunday I made ragda patties which happens to be favorite of both me and my husband. Living in San antonio I miss all these tasty street foods. So I learned to make them at home myself to satisfy the cravings.

Here is the recipe for Ragda Patties:

Ragda:


1 1/2 cups white peas (soaked in water for couple of hours and pressure cooked upto 2 to 3 whistles with a pinch of baking soda)
1 small onion finely chopped
1 small tomato finely chopped
2 green chillies finely chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/4 tsp Mixed spices(a pinch of clove, cinnamon and cardamom powders)
1/2 tsp Chaat masala powder
1 tsp coriander cumin powder
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 small lime size tamarind ball soaked in hot water
1 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
1 tbsp oil
salt as per taste

Heat the oil in a pan and add green chillies and onion to that. When onion turns translucent add the turmeric, coriander-cumin powder and ginger-garlic paste. Saute for couple of minutes and add tomato. Let the tomato cook and then add the cooked peas, salt, red chilli powder, chaat masala and mixed spices. Extract tamarind pulp and add to the gravy. Let it cook until everything comes together. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with patties.

Patties:


3 medium potatoes
a pinch turmeric powder
1/4 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp coriander cumin powder
bread crumbs to coat the patties

Boil the potatoes until they become tender but not mushy. Take them into a bowl, add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander cumin powder. Mix them all together, make into patties of required size. Coat them in plain bread crumbs and shallow fry them on both sides in a non-stick pan with a tsp of oil for each side.

Serving:


Take two patties into a plate, pour the ragda over them. Top them with some beaten curds, tamarind and cilantro chutney as per your taste level. Garnish with couple of crushed pani puri, sev and fresh finely chopped onion and cilantro. We enjoyed it much... hope you will also enjoy them equally.

20 comments:

Lata said...

What a reminder for me! I made Chole today and ate that for lunch and wanted to make something else for dinner wtih that. May be I will just add a Samosa or a Potato Patti and make it into a chat. Your recipe looks good.

Dhivya said...

so glad to see u after such a looong time and what a wonderful snack to welcome us all.

Happy New year

TBC said...

Love it! One of my fav street foods...Mumbai style!:-)

Anonymous said...

how are you? welcome back to blogging world, what a come back recipe

hoping for more wonduful recipes.
jyothi

Madhavi said...

I am glad you are back to blogging dear Hima!Ragda patties is my fav too.Some for me plz....So,hows your little one doing?

Sreelu said...

Hmmm Hima mouth watering, your post is making crave for ragada patti right now.

vimmi said...

Love any kind of chaats. Ragda patties looks good. We also dont get much chaats here and so make them at home.

easycrafts said...

I can have chat anytime of the day...nice snaps

Hima said...

Hey guys, thanks for dropping by and leaving your valuable comments.

Madhavi, the little one is fine and she has become quite naughty ;-)

Nags said...

i love chaat. esp the ragada stuff :)

Shella said...

Never had Ragda patties, but would love to. They look soo delicious. Just the way it should be - chatpata

Anonymous said...

Hi Hima,

Welcome Back !

It is so good to see you back..

Hope you are feeling better !!

M

Jayashree said...

I've heard so much about this from mumbaikars.....but Iam really adamant that I won't try making it until I've tasted the original.

Padmaja said...

Absolutely delicious!!! I love snacks like this which are so yummy and I miss all these here as mine never comes out the same as the street vendors!!
Have a nice weekend

Happy cook said...

Delicious.
I eat them when i am in India but never ever have made them at home

Hima said...

Hey guys, thanks for your lovely comments. I am pretty close to the end of my trimester so feeling much better now.

Sagari said...

welcome back hima just want to grab that bowl with full of yummy food pic looks veru temptinggg

Cynthia said...

I like the idea of this pattie and and definitely going to try making it.

Padma said...

This is my all time favorite snack.. thnakd for sharing such lovely recipe

Amritha Kalyani said...

Just came to see your blog for first time through your pickle event. You have a nice blog. this ragda patties is my fav chaat. bookmarking this. looks delicious. its nice to follow your recipes :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More