Monday, January 28

Onion Rava Dosa

On this weekend I made this rava dosa. I make this once in a while when I am tired of eating the same regular dosa. This dosa is slightly crispy and tastes excellent when it is hot. I do not like it when it is cold. I find it to be little tough to eat. The best part of this dosa is it can be made instantly. No soaking, grinding and fermenting. Now that is what we need once in a while to treat ourselves.

Recipe for Onion Rava Dosa:


1 cup Bombay rava (Semolina/sooji)
1 cup Rice flour
1/2 cup All purpose flour/Maida
2 Green chillies chopped very finely
few sprigs curry leaves chopped finely
cilantro chopped finely
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
Salt as per taste
1 small Onion chopped finely

Mix the above ingredients with enough water to make it thin batter. It should be pouring consistency (like buttermilk). You may mix it with combination of some sour buttermilk and water also. Dosas mixed with sour buttermilk will obviously tend to be sour. If you like that taste then you may go ahead and do that. I keep changing depending on my mood and the availability of buttermilk.

Heat a non-stick pan/tava and pour the batter from outside to inside in a circular form. Or you may pour a ladle full of batter on the pan and swiftly rotate the pan to form a thin dosa. Do no worry if you see some gaps or slight holes in between. That is how this dosa is supposed to look ;-)

Spray some oil on the dosa and cook on both sides until they turn golden brown in colour. Serve with any chutney of your choice and enjoy.

Sending this for JFI-Onion being hosted by Radhika of Radhi's Kitchen.

12 comments:

DK said...

The dosas luks so yum! I am STILL perfecting the art of making the perfect rava dosa.! the taste always comes out great, but it jus does not luk like the real thing! :-(

Hima said...

Same here dhivya, it sure needs lot of practice.

Siri said...

Dosas look yumm :D

Lakshmi said...

I love rava dosa with carrto chutney. Your dosa looks crisp and yumm.

Red Chillies said...

Looks yummy! Even I love rava dosa whenever I feel tired of urad dosa. One can never get enough of rava dosa.

easycrafts said...

It indeed is a fast food..looks great

Padmaja said...

Yum yum rawa dosa!!they are so tasty aren't they!! I love them when they are crispy!!!

Asha said...

I love it too and one is my draft, will post. Looks delicious, great with just chutney! Good to see you Hima, take care!:)

Pravs said...

like the instant dosa's.This will be great to try. Yum with chutney :)

Dhivya said...

I like onion dosa's.Great recipe.it would hav tasted better,Thanks for sharing

Rajitha said...

love..seriously love onion rava dosa...urs looks great!

Radhika said...

hey Sorry somehow missed ur entry Will update it shortly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More