Thursday, November 1

Samosa

I miss India, hyderabad and my place Sainikpuri. I love Samosa, Veg. puffs, Mysore Bajji, Chaats... man none of these I find here in San antonio at all. So bad!!

So I started making them at home myself. Though I do not make them often (scared of oil and butter) but once in blue moon I do make them. Luckily my husband also loves them. He dies for chaats. Well I actually made these because I was left with some dough after making these. So I used those dough balls and made just 6 small samosas. So here is my version.


3 small dough balls left from making Somasi

For Stuffing:

3 medium size potatoes
1 medium onion
a pinch turmeric powder
salt as per taste

For Masala:

2 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
4-5 small dry red chillies

For Tempering:

1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp chana dal
1/2 tsp urad dal
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
few curry leaves

1. Wash, peel and cube bite size pieces of potatoes. Add some water to cover them and boil them with some salt.

2. In a pan heat a tsp of oil add coriander seeds, cumin seeds and red chillies. Once they turn golden brown colour, remove from heat and take them into a blender. Blend them to a fine powder.

3. In the same pan heat a tsp of oil and add the tempering ingredients. Once they turn golden brown colour, add chopped onion and saute until it turns transluscent.

4. Add the boiled potatoes and add the masala powder that we made above. Add some salt, turmeric powder and mix them together until the masala is well blended. Heat on low heat for just a second and remove from heat.

This curry tastes awesome in samosas or curry puffs or even in the potato bonda. The fresh roasted and powdered masala taste just heavenly. You may add green peas to the curry, I did not have them in hand.

5. Now roll each ball into a thin puri. Cut into half. Rub the edges with little water and fold it into a triangular pocket. Stuff the curry and seal the edges from the other end.

6. Heat the oil in a pan and fry these samosas on medium heat until they turn golden brown. Do not fry them on high heat as they tend to become soggy.

Serve them hot with any sauce of your choice. I liked them eating as they are. Enjoy.


For the dough this is what I usually use:

1 cup Plain flour/All purpose flour
2 tbsp warm oil
Salt as per taste
water to knead dough

16 comments:

Sirisha Kilambi said...

Hi Hima.....Glad to know u are a Hyderabadi too dear :-)
So u in sainikpuri...great :-)
We used to stay in New Nallakunta for a long time...recently my parents shifted to Seethaphalmandi.....
Nice looking Samosas Hima...YUM :-)

bee said...

wow, they look like authentic punju ones.

Hima said...

Thanks sirisha. Nice to know that you are also from Hyderabad. We have been living for years in Neredmet and Sainikpuri area. Love that place.

Thanks bee.

Dhivya Karthik said...

I dont want to write anything...jus keep droolinggggg.....

Rina said...

Hima, there is'nt any one who won't like these snacky treats. Thx for your samosa.

Rajitha said...

hima..sainikpuri you say...i used to live in ramakrishnapuram...my parents and sis still do...those samosas look great...kinda happy that you lived pretty close to where i lived :)

Bhawna said...

Its been a while when i last had samosas, Samosas are there all i'm missing is garam garam chai.......
Thanks

Happy cook said...

Love the samosas.
Agree with bhawana its been a while with me also

easycrafts said...

Samosa is my all time fav snack ,with sweet chutney of course. your's looks yummy and perfect

Hima said...

Thanks Dhivya, rina, easycrafts, happy cook.

Bhawna, unfortunately I do not drink chai or coffee. Neither me nor my husband. So we do not have any such powders at home hehe ;)

Rajitha, I love this blogging, this way we get to know more and more people and wonder that they lived close our place. It is so nice to know that you are also hyderabadi !!

Richa said...

yummy samosa :)

Tee said...

yum! i want !!!:)

Seema said...

You are killing me lady. Hot and spicy samosa on a cold day like today ....can anything be better? Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy
-
Seema

Cynthia said...

I like samosas with green mango chutney.

Hima said...

Thanks richa.

Come to my home Tee, I would be glad to serve you with them. :)

Hehehe...Thanks seema

Hmm... I never taste them with green mango chutney cynthia. I will next time.

Apple said...

Hima...Samosas chaala bavunnayi...I shld try them once...Thanks for dropping by my other blog too...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More