Saturday, November 3

Chickpea Masala Vada & Allam Thokku/Ginger Pickle

Chickpea Masala Vada, sounds interesting right. Well, there are many reasons for why did I make masala vada with chickpeas. You can call it Indianised Falafel or Mediterraneanised Masala vada. The other day my husband saw Emeril Live in which emeril was making falafel. I too heard a lot about it but never tasted them before. And my husband is a very big fan of Masala vada so do I. And I have been thinking a while that if I had to live in this country without an Indian store at all. How would it be!! The basic idea itself scares me. I sincerely thank god that he did not throw me away in to such a remote place. Though I bitch about the indian stores here for not getting many items. Still I am glad that I get atleast the basic items like dals, flours, Masalas etc., I also remember my mom making Vadas with kale chane (the small black chickpeas). So putting all together, I came up with this. You will not have to make a trip to indian groceries store to make these I promise you.


1 1/2 cups Chickpeas/Gorbanzo beans (if using fresh, measure it after soaking for 24 hrs in water/canned chickpeas will also do)
1/2" piece of ginger/as per taste
1 big Jalapeno/1-2 small serrano peppers
few chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
1 tsp cumin seeds (if you don't find them you may use ground cumin too)
1 small onion chopped finely
Salt as per taste
Oil to deep fry

1. Take all the ingredients except for oil and onion into a blender/food processor and blend them together without adding any water. It should not be smooth paste and you should not even see whole chickpea. Just see that it is coarsely grinded.

2. Add chopped onion to the mixture and mix them together.

3. Heat enough oil in a deep frying pan. Now make the batter into small size patties and drop them carefully into the hot oil. Fry them on both sides until they turn golden brown colour.


Serve them with any chutney or sauce of your like. I served with some Tomato Ketchup. Enjoy.

Allam Thokku/Ginger Pickle: Did you ever taste the Ginger pickle of Priya products. I like it. It goes well with hot hot rice or dosas or idlis. The moment I saw Think spice this month being Ginger, I decided to make it. I don't know if you noticed or not, I have been submitting pickles or chutneys for this event except for saffron. I submitted Melon Cucumber Pickle/Dosavakayi for mustard seeds and Toor dal chutney/kandi pachadi for cumin seeds. I wanted to continue the trend and made this pickle for this month spice - Ginger. I remember one of my ex-colleague in my previous work place use to bring this pickle with dosas and I loved it. I failed to get recipe from her so, I put my imagination into work and made it and you know what I nailed it. It was the same and tasted excellent with idlis as well as with hot rice. Dosa batter is waiting to get accompanied. Here is the recipe :


40 grms Ginger
80 grms Tamarind
70 grms Jaggery/Brown sugar (what every you have/get)
1/4 cup Salt
1/4 cup Red chilli powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
2 tbsp Fenugreek seeds powder (Roast some methi seeds in a pan and grind them to fine powder in a blender)

For tempering/tadka:
1 tsp mustard seeds
3 tbsp oil
a dash of hing/asafoetida

1. Wash and soak tamarind in hot water for about 4 to 5 hours. Wash, pat dry and soak chopped ginger also in the tamarind water.

2. Remove any seeds/pits from the tamarind and them into a blender. Add grated jaggery, salt, red chilli powder, turmeric and fenugreek powder. Blend them together until it forms into a fine paste.

3. Heat 3 tbsp oil, add mustard seeds and hing. Let them splutter and add to the pickle. Mix them all together and let the pickle stay for a night before you use. By next day all the spices blend together and taste good.


Chickpea Masala vadas and Allam thokku are my contribution to Think Spice..Think Ginger hosted by Sunita of Sunita's World.

15 comments:

easycrafts said...

Chick peas vada is new to me..never heard of it...looks very tempting...great job

Nags said...

a lovely snack for a rainy day :) u truly live up to the name of ur blog, don't you? :)

A kitchen scientist & a white rat hubby!!! said...

lovely vada...and the pickle looks soo yumm..

Vcuisine said...

Hima a timely post to celebrate this season. Viji

Happy cook said...

Delicious. The inside looks so moist. Love to have them any time of the day

Latha said...

Those look delicious! I once saw a similar recipe on Gemini TV and i forgot to note it. Now i can come here for it :-)
Good thokku too!

Hima said...

Thanks easycrafts.

Thanks nags, its high time I must add some good snacks to my blog to live up to the name. Since it is festival season, I can dare to deep fry some nice snacks. The blame is all on the festivals !! ;)

Thanks scientist, vcuisine, happy cook.

Thanks latha, I am not about the Gemini TV recipe but hope this will satisfy your expectations. Enjoy!!

Apple said...

This' so lovely..I make masala vada with chana dal...'ll try your version too..Thanks for sharing..Ginger thokku looks bright n hot..

Lissie said...

hima, the chickpea vadas sound tasty! a unique recipe. i make a ginger pickle almost similar to yours...

sunita said...

The vadas do sound very tempting...thanks for those lovely entries.

Sirisha Kilambi said...

The vadas look delicious Hima...and with allam chutney...it must be a hit ;-))

Cynthia said...

I am definitely going to try making this.

Hima said...

Thanks Keerthi(Apple),Lissie, sunita and sirisha.

Thanks cynthia, please try and do let me know how it turned out.

Nikita said...

Thanks for your comments. I didnt use sugar free for the ras malai. But thanks to you that for the first time a dish came out so perfect even though it was made by me :)

Dhivya Karthik said...

The pic's are making my mouth water~ :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More