After making masala vadas with chickpeas, I was left with about 1 cup of soaked chickpeas. I took them out, kept in moist cloth for two days so that it sprouted. I used those sprouted chickpeas to make these wonderful burger patties. Good source of protein and you will be full with just one burger believe me. This was our sunday night dinner.
Sprouted Chickpea Burger:
1 cup Sprouted Chickpeas
1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
1 tsp Chaat masala
2 small Green chillies minced finely
few chopped Mint leaves
Salt as per taste
a pinch Turmeric powder
1/4 tsp Red chilli powder
1/4 cup Plain bread crumbs
1. Wash and cook chickpeas until they become tender.
2. Drain and take them into blender and blend them until they are coarse grain.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients. If you find the mixture to be very dry, use the water in which the chickpeas are cooked to bring them all together. In case it is too loose add some bread crumbs.
4. Make into equal patties. The above mixture should yield approximately 3 jumbo size patties.
5. Heat a tsp of oil in a non-stick pan, put the pattie and fry until it turns golden brown on both sides. Fry them on medium heat.
6. To assemble the burger I used 2 7 Whole grain light bread slightly toasted, 2 butter lettuce leaves, tomato slices and some coriander chutney and tamarind chutney applied to the bread slices. Take a bread slice apply the chutneys, put lettuce, tomato and then pattie, then tomato, lettuce and cover with bread slice that as chutneys applied.
You may add some chopped onion also to the mixture. If you eat egg then you may use one egg also to bind the mixture together.
It tasted really good. I am sure you will all enjoy it. It is a good combination of protein and starch.