Tuesday, October 2

Sunday Meals #8 - Andhra Meal

Hi all, this sunday I made my favorite dishes. Here is the list of items that I made:

Capsicum patoli, Vankaya chappani pachadi and Tomato Rasam served with brown rice

Capsicum patoli

Eggplant/Brinjal/Vankaya chappani pachadi
Tomato Rasam

My husband do not like rasam/chaaru. He asks me where is dal in the rasam, and I am like WHAT?? I know pappu chaaru from andhra cuisine from I like normal rasam. So, I get to make this very rarely but whenever I make it really joy it to the fullest.

Capsicum patoli is one of my favorite vegetable curries that I learned from my mother. She makes it so delicious and I like to eat it with hot rice. She use to make it as sunday special while I was kid. And this time it is my turn to make it at my home. Again, my husband is not a big fan of it but surprisingly he liked it this time.

Vankaya chappani pachadi is another simple and easy chutney that is sure liked by kids. It is not too spicy and just tastes good with some hot rice.

Here is the recipe for each dish:

Capsicum Patoli:

3/4 cup Channa dal/Senagapappu soaked in plenty of water for 4 hours
2 to 3 big large Serrano peppers
Salt as per taste
2 Big Capsicum

For tadka:

1 tsp urad dal/minappappu
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
a dash of hing

1. Wash dal and grind it to coarse paste with some salt and serrano peppers.

2. In a pan heat 2 to 3 tbsp of oil, add urad dal, mustard seeds and hing. Once they turn golden brown, add the paste and mix thoroughly.

3. After 2 minutes add the chopped capsicum, add a pinch of salt, mix everything together. Cover and cook on medium flame until capsicum is cooked.

4. Remove the cover and fry for sometime until the dal seperates and become crispy. If necessary add some more oil, the dal should not be mushy and form into lump.

Vankaya chappani pachadi:


2 long large fat Japanese Eggplant
4 to 5 Green Chillies
1 tsp urad dal / minappappu
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
dash of hing
Salt as per taste
1 tsp oil

1. Apply oil on the eggplants and set them under broiler and roast them on all sides.

2. Heat oil in a pan and add chopped green chillies, urad dal,cumin seeds and hing. Let the green chillies turn brown so that when you bite into them still they will not be hot.

3. Peel the eggplant, add salt and mix it into the tadka that you made above. Make sure that you mash the eggplant thoroughly.

Tomato Rasam:

2 Medium Tomatoes
1 lime size ball of tamarind
3-4 curry leaves
1 tbsp coriander leaves/cilantro
Salt as per taste
a pinch of Turmeric powder
2 tsp MTR Rasam powder

For tadka:

1/2 tsp mustard seeds/aavalu
1/2 tsp cumin seeds/jellakarra
1 dry red chilli teared into pieces
1 garlic clove chopped fine
a dash of hing
1 tsp oil

1. Mash the tomatoes in the grinder. Take the puree into a bowl, add the tamarind extracted water.

2. Keep that on the stove and add salt, turmeric powder, curry leaves and coriander leaves. Let it come to a boil.

3. Add the rasam powder and let it boil for 10 to 15 minutes.

4. Heal oil in another pan and add the tadka ingredients. Pour the tadka into rasam.

So, these are what we had last sunday. Enjoy.

I am slowly getting into the mood of dieting. As you can see patoli has lot of oil so I would not suggest that as diet meal but the rest of the two dishes are good. Having brown rice good substitute for white rice as it falls into the category of complex carbohydrates.

15 comments:

Sreelu said...

Hima,Naku patoli ante chala istam,chesi chala rojulu ayyindi. thanks for the recipe its time to try again

A kitchen scientist & a white rat hubby!!! said...

hima, luv the green bowl..cute, and sure the dish inside are also mouthwatering!

Hima said...

Thanks sreelu, I too love the patoli.

Thanks kitchen scientist, I bought it in Dollar store ;)

Padma said...

HIma patoli recipe chala bagundi, I tried with beans but ur patoli with simla mirchi looks good! Nice andhra lunch u had

Hima said...

Thanks Padma.

Cynthia said...

Favourite dishes are always so comforting.

Kumudha said...

All these dishes sound so tasty!
I liked the name patoli, hearing for the first time.

Hima said...

Thats true cynthia.

Thanks kumudha.

Dhivya Karthik said...

hey dint know of making capsicum curry this way.!! will give it a try :) thanks for the recipe

Sharmi said...

lovely looking meals. how does brown rice taste?

Hima said...

Thanks Dhivya, sure I strongly recommend to try it once as that is really a tasty curry. And ofcourse do let me know how it turned out.

Thanks sharmi, brown rice tastes more like plain cooked wheat rava for me, well, in comparision with white rice it is not that great but when it is healthy I manage to have it. It satisfies my craving for rice. I sometimes eat plain cooked wheat rava also instead of white rice, which is a healthy substitute.

Jyothsna said...

That looks like tasty comfort food :)

suku said...

Mouth watering recipes, Hima, especially the capsicum patoli! :)

Sirisha Kilambi said...

wow Hima...U made paatoli.....Nice dear.....We make Paatoli with Alu and guvar.....anyways...I love Patoli....Good one......Mogambo Khush hua....:-))))

RML said...

Hima,
The capsicum patoli recipe is mouthwatering.I sure wd try and let u know
Thanks for sharing
Madhuri

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More