Thursday, October 25

Paneer with Saffron - Two Ways - Low Calorie

Rasmalai and Paneer chettinad served with Chapathis

This is my 50th food related post and I wanted to celebrate with a sweet treat. I am not a great fan of sweet dishes, but there are few exceptional sweets that I do love to have on special occassions. I love any juicy sweets like gulab jamuns, jilebi, jaangri or rasmalai. Oh wait! did I say rasmalai and that has saffron in it. Sunita asked me to think spice and that is saffron for this month, how din't I think about it. How good will that be if I can make it low fat and low calorie treat. It will meet my event rules too. So here I present to you all my Low Calorie Rasmalai.

Low fat food need not necessarily be, low calorie food, why, because of the amount of starch or sugar that goes into the recipe. If there is any low fat desserts you need to watch out for the amount of sugar that goes into it. Interested in knowing more about it? Click here.

So I tried my recipe of Rasmalai with sugar free and guess what it turned out great. I could not make out difference at all. And I used fat free chenna (paneer) and fat free milk instead of malai (Heavy cream/ Half and half). Trust me, any diabetics out there you can happily have this on your special occassions. This sweet is a combination of Diary and protein (paneer). Here is the recipe:


For Chenna:
6 cups Fat free milk
2 tbsp Vinegar

For Sugar Syrup:
2 cups Water
2 cups Sugar Free

For Malai/Sauce:
3 cups Fat Free Milk
1/4 cup Sugar Free
1/4 tsp Cardamom powder(Elaichi)
1/4 tsp Saffron

1. Heat 6 cups of milk in a heavy bottomed pan and when it comes to a boil, switch off the stove and add the vinegar. Keep stirring gently until the milk curdles. Drain the water and run the chenna (The curdled thing is called chenna) under running water until the vinegar smell is gone.

2. Make a smooth dough of the chenna, you may use some all purpose flour to enable you to make into small balls.

3. In the mean time heat make sugar syrup with water and sugar free. Let it boil for a while and then drop the chenna balls in to the syrup. Let them cook in the water for 10 to 15 minutes. You will see the balls double in size.

4. When you start making sugar syrup at the same time, in a seperate pan heat the milk and let it boil until it becomes half its quantity. Add crushed saffron and cardamom powder and let it boil for further few more minutes.

5. Now add sugar to the milk, stir, and drop the cooked chenna balls into the milk sauce. Switch off the stove and let the pan still be on the stove. Once it cools a bit, switch them in to a serving bowl and keep them inside the regrigerator to further cool them. Serve them chill. Garnish with some sliced almonds or pistachios. Enjoy.

I cannot have a sweet by itself I need something hot aside. So, I made Paneer Chettinad that goes well with Whole wheat Chapathis. I got the recipe for this dish from my brother's colleague. I followed the same recipe, the only addition I made was adding saffron. Here is the recipe:


1 Big Onion
1 Big Tomato
3 Small green chillies (You may reduce adjust it as per your spice level)
4 to 5 curry leaves chopped
3 tbsp Cashew nuts
1 tbsp Poppy seeds (ghasaghasalu)
1" piece Cinnamon (dalchini)
4 Cloves (lavangalu)
3 Cardamom(elaichi)
1/2 tsp dry Coconut powder
1/2 tsp Coriander seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
2 long dry Red chillies
a pinch of Saffron
1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
1 tbsp chopped Cilantro(coriander leaves)
1/3 cup cubed Fat free Paneer
Salt as per taste

I made paneer couple of days ago with fat free milk and I have them in my refrigerator in the freezer section.

1. Soak cashews and poppy seeds in hot water for 20 to 30 minutes. Dry roast the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, corander, cumin, coconut powder and red chillies. Add the saffron to the roasted ingredients.

2. Spray some cooking oil (nonstick cooking spray) in the same pan and fry paneer until it turns golden brown. Drop them into some hot water, this allows the paneer to be soft. This idea was given to me by my brother which works.

3. In the same pan, spray some more oil and add the chopped onion, green chillies, curry leaves, sprinkle a little salt, mix well, cover and cook until onion becomes transluscent. In the mean time, grind the roasted ingredients, add ginger garlic paste and grind further more. Add the soaked Cashews and poppy seeds and grind them into a smooth paste.

4. Add the paste to the onions, add some water and cook until the oil leaves the gravy. Well, there is not much of oil I added to this dish, but still you will see the little oil that I added on top. And also cashews has some amount of fat in it.

5. Add the chopped tomato, salt, cover and cook until the tomato is cooked. Now add the paneer, coriander leaves and cook for 5 more minutes.

Squeeze a lime and serve with chapathis with some slices of onion. I did not have much patience to decorate it so I had as it is. It tasted excellent. Thanks Devi for sharing such a wonderful recipe.


Since they are low in fat and calorie they go to my own event WYF - Diet Food. This is also my contribution to Sunita of Sunita's World for her event Think Spice -Think Saffron.

PS: Today is the last day to send in your entries for my event WYF - Diet Food. I will be posting my round up on Monday. So if anyone missed to post for the event, may send in their entries by Sunday. Love to see some more delicious entries. Keep them coming.

17 comments:

easycrafts said...

wow...mouth watering ras malai and paneer dish....looks classic

Cinnamon said...

Ras malai looks wonderful.. and so is the paneer dish delicious!!!

Sirisha Kilambi said...

wow Hima....The dishes rock.....loved ur Rasmalai and curry......Great entry for the event :-)

Rajitha said...

wow hima..thanks...both look great..have a Q about the sugar free...does it get an aftertaste after being boiled?? b.coz i get a wierd aftertaste after using splenda..in coffee or tea...

sunita said...

Both the dishes are lip smacking indeed...thanks.

Swaroopa said...

deliciouslt tempting!! especially the rasmalai. wanna try it soon.

Asha said...

Low fat and yummy! Looks delicious Hima, enjoy rounding up!:))

TBC said...

Paneer chettinad must have tasted great.
Waiting for all the entries for Diet Food:-)

Richa said...

i saw low cal and then i see ras malai ...Woweeeee!
btw did u get good amount of paneer with the fat free milk?
chettinadu paneer looks so good - perfect north meets south ;)

Hima said...

First off thanks to all who dropped by to leave your valuable comments. That is so encouraging.

Rajitha, I din't find any difference, I found the dish to be sweeter and nice. I don't drink coffee or tea so I don't know how would it taste in them but I do make lime juice in which I use this sugar free and I like it. Try with lime juice and see if you still find the same wierd taste. My husband says he can find difference between Diet Coke and Coke,which I can't. May healthy ones attract me and repell him hehe ;)

Richa, I did get very less chenna compared to full fat milk, but I am tired of searching fat free paneer in stores. So, I made at home with a gallon of fat free milk which yielded about 200 - 250 grms paneer. That makes me feel little happy that I am eating a fat free protein.

Rina said...

Mouth watering dessert and kurma. Lov them.

Apple said...

Fantastic dessert and Paneer curry looks Yumm

Sharmi said...

waw is rasmalai so simple to make:)) looks so good. have to make them sometime.

Puspha said...

Wonderful duo.

Padma said...

U make such great tasting recipes look so simple. I love ras malai!

Nikita said...

Wonderful recipes. I already tried the ras malai and it came perfect. Will definitely try the Paneer Chettinad soon. Thanks for the recipes.

Hima said...

Thanks rina, apple, sharmi, puspha, padma.

Thanks for trying it nikita. I am glad you liked it. Try the paneer chettinad too. Even that was great.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More