Friday, October 26

Kai Murukku and Somasi for RCI - Tamil Festival Food

Approximately 10 years back I made Somasi/Kajjikayalu for my brother's birthday. I made them once again today for two persons, one my husband and another Viji of VCuisine for the event RCI - Tamil Festivals which she is hosting for this month.

I had a tamilian friend whose mother use to make these Kai Murukku and Somasi for Diwali. She use to make a bunch of sweets and hots of which I remember Coconut Burfi, Kai Murukku and Somasi. As my husband also was behind me for some snacks so I made these. My husband loves our traditional snacks like murukku, undrallu, kajjikayalu, chegodilu etc., The list is too long to mention here. I am trying my hands in making them for him. The amount of oil, butter/ghee, sugar/jaggery that goes into these items do not make me happy after eating. Please note after eating, I forget everything while eating. After that when I get on to the scale then I feel bad and swear not to touch them in life. Do you think that will happen? I am sure there are many like me out there ... just can't help it.

I made Kai Murukku following the recipe here. I just replaced cumin seeds with ajwain seeds. Rest of the ingredients and recipe is the same. I tried my level best to make the twists with hand. I was pretty glad with my first attempt, may be practice will make me perfect.


Kajjikayalu/Somasi:


For dough:
11/2 cups All purpose flour
1/4 cup Ghee (melted)
1/4 tsp Salt
Water

For Stuffing:
1/2 cup dalia (putnalu/veyinchina senagapappu/the dal that we use to make chutney)
1/3 cup dry coconut powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp cardamom powder

1. Mix the all purpose flour, salt and ghee. Add water little by little to make a soft pliable dough, similar to puri dough. Cover with damp cloth and set aside.

2. Grind dalia with cardamom powder and take into a clean bowl. Add dry coconut powder, sugars to that and mix them all together.

3. Make small balls of the dough and cover with the same damp cloth.


4. Now take one ball, roll it into a thin puri. Place about 2 tbsp stuffing in the middle of the puri. Wet with water on the ends and fold the puri into a semi circle. Seal the ends. You may use fork to make a nice design. I filded the ends with my fingers to make a nice design.


5. Repeat the same with other balls. Heat enough oil for deep frying. Deep fry one by one in hot oil. I baked couple of them in 350 degree F for 10 to 15 min. I must say they were no close to the ones that are fried.


The sugar gets melted while frying and you will see that the stuffing will get to one side within the shell making it a bit hollow. So do not worry that is normal and the taste will be perfect. Enjoy.

This my entry for RCI-Tamil Festivals - Diwali hosted by Viji of VCuisine. I am a day late, I hope Viji would accept my humble contribution.

14 comments:

Vcuisine said...

Hima, you are not late. How can I reject such wonderful goodies. Both murukku and somasi are too good. Thank you for the entries and have a good day. Viji

Daily Meals said...

Hi Hima! Crispy kai muruku and delicious somasi...Nice entries.

Happy cook said...

Wow super delicious.
Love the Kajjikayalu. I want to have them

Rajitha said...

hima..the kai-murruku looks great...for a first timer..the twists look pretty professional..i have not even tried once..ur post inspites me :)...and the somasi..yumm

Asha said...

Both look yum! Great entries Hima!:)

Hima said...

Thanks to all for leaving your valuable comments.

Sirisha Kilambi said...

Hima......wonderful entries....and u must have put in quite an effort my dear..........Way to go....Both look delicious :-)

easycrafts said...

Nice one...Never have tried these recipes...thanks for recipe

remya said...

BOth are nice snacks...just love these crispy ones....

Padma said...

By seeing those I can only say you have lotsa patience my dear! both the snacks looks incredible

Hima said...

Thanks sirisha, oh ya, I spent one complete afternoon in kitchen to make them. Anything for husband hehe ;)

Thanks easycrafts. Try once its not that difficult actually. If you can make samosa, you can make these somasi too.

Thanks remya.

Thanks padma, that is so nice of you.

Menu Today said...

Hi Hima,

Murukku looks crispy... Sweet looking somasi... Thanks for sharing.
Please check out for my version of kaimurukku..
http://menutoday.blogspot.com/2006/09/kai-murukku-murukku-making-is-art.html

amutha said...

hi hima! i m ams from colombo. gonna try somasi fr diwali...hope it comes good. thnks fr the nice discription ...

Anu said...

Hi Hima,

This is Anu from My Scrawls. Loved the simple and delicious recipes in ur blog. Somasi looks delicious. I use the somasi presser for folding the dough. I have posted my version of Somasi in my blog. Do visit my blog in ur free time. Would be happy to receive ur comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More