Saturday, October 27

Gongura Pappu (Sorrel Leaves Dal)

Last week I went to visit my brother who lives in Dallas. I go crazy for Indian Restaurants and Grocery stores, when I go to Dallas. We do not get lots of varieties of vegetables that are available in Dallas. So, I make sure I visit my favorite store called "Subzimandi". My husband is fond of Chaats and pani puri which he makes sure he visits that place. And there are so many varieties of restaurants that offer different varieties of Indian food like South Indian, North Indian, Indo-Chinese etc.,

As usual I went to my favorite store and found so many different vegetables. I would like to share our normal curries, dals and chutneys that we make with these vegetables. Some are very simple to make and some need little work. Most of them are simple recipes that are passed from my grand mother to my mom and from her to me. Thankfully my husband also enjoys them as I do. There are few differences the way a curry is made in my home to that of his home. You will see some Telugu brahmin recipes in my blog starting today.

I started my first post with Gongura which is also called Andhra sakhamu. Andhra is famous for its Gongura pachadi, which I will post next.

Gongura Pappu:


3/4 cup Toor dal (Kandi pappu)
1 cup chopped Gongura leaves
1 small Onion (Ullipayi)
1 Clove Garlic minced (Vellullipayi)
Salt as per taste (Uppu)
1 tsp Red chilli powder (Karam)
a pinch Turmeric powder (Pasupu)

For Popu/tempering/tadka:
1 tsp Oil
1/2 tsp Urad dal (Minappappu)
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds (Aavalu)
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds (Jeelakarra)
1 Red chilli chopped (Endumirapakaya)
a dash of Hing (Inguva)

1. Wash and pressure cook dal with gongura leaves until 4 to 5 whistles. It takes more time for dal to cook with gongura leaves as they are sour.

2. Let the cooker cool and now remove the whistle. In a seperate pan heat a tsp of oil add the tadka ingredients along with minced garlic. Let them splutter and when they turn golden brown in colour add chopped onion.

3. Saute onion until it turns transluscent. Now add the cooked dal, salt, turmeric and red chillie powder and cook for 5 minutes.

Serve with hot rice or phulkas, it tastes great with either of them.

7 comments:

Tee said...

oh I love gongura! Your version looks mouth watering!!:)

Rina said...

Love gongura! so always cherished Gongura pappu when GMs made it.

Sirisha Kilambi said...

Am up for gongura pappu anytime Hima...Slurp :-)

Daily Meals said...

Gongura pappu looks mouth watering.

Suma Gandlur said...

Right now, I am jealous of you. I don't get gongura here.

Hima said...

Thanks Tee, Me too! love gongura!.

Thats true Rina.

Hi sirisha, hehe, join the club.

Thanks daily meals.

Thanks suma. Well, I don't get it here in san antonio actually. I get it from dallas, whenever I visit.

Chennaitian said...

Nice and simple recipe.. I am going to try tonight.. Lets see how its gonna turn out, Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More