Friday, October 12

Baking Bread...

Last month when Coffee asked to bake some bread for the MBP event, I collected some good bread recipes, but somehow missed the event. Now when I saw Zorra of Kochtopf called for baking bread then I immediately digged into my bookmarks. And here I present two bread recipes that I made looking into my fellow bloggers recipes.

Bread Sticks:

Recipe Source: Just For Fun

I slightly altered this recipe, here are the ingredients that I used:

1 cup Unbleached White Flour
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp Salt
A pinch of Sugar
1 1/2 tbsp Oil
1 1/2 tbsp Skim Milk
1 tsp Active Dry Yeast

For Seasoning:

Salt (I did not have Garlic Salt)
Italian Seasoning
Oil

1. Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/4 cup of warm water and set aside for 10 min.

2. Take the rest of the dry ingredients into another bowl, add milk, oil and the yeast mixture. Keep adding some warm water to the mixture and knead it into a soft pliable dough. Coat with very little oil, cover and set aside until the dough doubles in size (about an hour).

3. Heat the oven at 450 degrees F.

4. Punch down the dough and roll into in a big rectangle about 1/2" thick.

5. Cut it into long strips, set them on the baking sheet cover and let it rest for about 30 to 40 minutes until it doubles.

6. Now coat each strip with just enough oil, sprinkle some salt and italian seasoning on top and bake in the hot oven for about 7 to 10 min. or until the top turns golden brown.

They were so soft and tasty I am glad I tried them. I had a bowl of salad and these bread sticks for my lunch today.



French Bread:

Recipe Source: Jaden's Steamy Kitchen

1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup Unbleached White Flour
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Active Dry yeast
a pinch of sugar free
3/4 cup warm water

1. Dissolve yeast and sugar free in the warm water and set aside for about 10 min.

2. Take the dry ingredients into a bowl, add the yeast mixture and knead for 6 min. If it is too dry add a tbsp of water at a time. I had to add atleast 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp water.

3. Let it rest for 7 min. and then again knead for 7 minutes. Coat with very little oil, cover and let it rest for 1 1/2 hours until the dough doubles in size. After an hour of the resting stage heat the oven at 450 degrees F.

4. Roll the dough into a long strip and fold, length wise from both sides into the middle. (You may look into the original recipe for the exact picture). Give some karate shots so that the dough sticks together and then pull the two ends from length wise and fold them together. Close from all the ends, put the folded end bottom side and let it rest for about 30 min.

5. With a sharp knife make a diagonal slashes on the top of the loaf. This allows the steam in the bread to escape so that it expands evenly.

6. Shift it onto the baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 min. In my case the top of the bread turned brown in colour by 13 min., so I had to remove it. The bread was fine but it was a bit dense inside. Otherwise it was good attempt. I coated the loaf with some oil, may be that was a wrong step. Next time when I try this, I will make sure I will not coat with oil and may be bake at 500 degrees F. I read somewhere that yeast breads should be baked at higher temperature for them to be more fluffy.

What did I do with this french bread loaf, I could have made garlic bread but then I settled with making a sandwich (6" Sub roll one for my husband and one for me).

Best part is my daughter is also enjoying the bread, I make them into small pieces and pour in her high chair plate. She picks up one by one and puts into her mouth. So cute. I love it, I think its time for me to explore into new recipes to cook for her ;-)



So both these breads go to Zorro of Kochtopf for her event "World Day of Bread 2007".

PS: I thank both the ladies for sharing such a wonderful recipes with us.

12 comments:

Tee said...

Both breadsticks and bread look perfect! Great entries for the event :)

Sreelu said...

Hima,
Such beautiful bread, frech bread looks so good all crusty and crunchy.

Hima said...

Thanks Tee and Sreelu.

TBC said...

Beautifully done!
I like bread sticks. Have you tried garlic bread? It is so yummy!

zorra said...

Both looks great!
Thanky for joining World Bread Day.

Hima said...

Hi TBC, I know I too like garlic bread, but I am scared of the amount of butter that goes into it. May be someother time.

Hi Zorra, thanks and it was my pleasure to join World Bread Day.

Padma said...

Both look lovely and healthy! I would love to try those bread sticks soon, tx for sharing HIma

Dhivya Karthik said...

luv breads...:)

Asha said...

Beautiful recipes Hima. Isn't bread baking soothes you, I love it!:))

Hima said...

Thanks padma, Me too I loved the bread sticks.

Thanks Dhivya

Thanks Asha, ofcourse yes, I was pleasantly surprised with my effort to make them and was happy when they turned out good.

Mansi Desai said...

Looks nice Hima!

Sirisha Kilambi said...

Hima...Nice looking breadsticks dear.....:-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More