Tuesday, September 18

Sunday Meals # 7 - Karnataka Cuisine

I am back with my sunday meal after a long break. And let me make you sure that I am still alive and please do not stop sending me those wonderful snacks. The due date for the event is 25th of this month.

The theme for this sunday meal is Karnataka cuisine. I love some of the dishes specific to that cuisine, like vangi bath, bisi bele bath, Mysore Masala dosa, Mysore bonda etc., Well, do not expect to see these here in my post, if you too love them as I do, then do not miss to visit Foodie's Hope where our dear Asha is hosting the RCI - Karnataka Cuisine. I will be present there on that occassion to collect the recipes of all those wonderful dishes.
I managed to make 2 curries a sambar and some rice for this sunday. As this saturday was Vinayaka Chavithi for us, and I made some specials like undrallu, payasam and chinthapandu pulihora (chitranna). I did not make any lengthy list dishes on sunday.

Most of the south indian cuisines share the same recipes only the name differs like for ex. pulihara is telugu word, chitranna kannada word, puliyogare is tamil and we are referring to the same dish. So, the items that I made belong to telugu, tamil cuisines too like Sambar that I made belongs to South Indian cuisine, rather than to any one particular cuisine.
This meal is simple and satisfying and can be made pretty quick. Hope you guys will also enjoy along with me.

Here is the list of items:

Green beans palya
Cauliflower, green peas palya
Drumstick Sambar

Recipe for Green beans palya:

1 packet frozen green beans
Salt as per taste
a pinch of Turmeric powder
1 tbsp oil

To grind into Powder:

1 tbsp channa dal (senaga pappu)
1 tbsp urad dal (mina pappu)
1 1/2 tbsp coriander seeds (dhaniyalu)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
5 long dry red chillies (endu mirapakayalu)
3-4 curry leaves
1 tsp oil

1. Heat a tsp of oil in a pan and fry the above ingredients until they turn golden brown. Take them into a grinder jar and grind them to form soft powder.

2. Heat a tbsp of oil in the same pan and add the green beans. Add some salt and turmeric powder to that. Cover and cook until green beans is half cooked.

3. Add the grinded powder to the green beans and mix it to bring them together. Cover and cook until the beans is completely cooked.


Recipe for Cauliflower, green peas palya:


1/2 of big Cauliflower
1/4 cup green peas
salt as per taste
a pinch of turmeric powder
4 to 5 serrano peppers
3-4 curry leaves chopped
2 tbsp coconut powder

For tadka/talimpu/tempering:

2 tsp oil
1 tsp channa dal (senaga pappu)
1 tsp urad dal (mina pappu)
1/2 tsp mustard seeds (aavalu)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)

1. Heat the oil in a pan and add the tempering ingredients, green chillies/serrano peppers, curry leaves. When they turn golden brown add the cauliflower, salt, turmeric powder and coconut powder. Mix well, cover and cook until cauliflower is half cooked.

2. Add the green peas and cook until cauliflower is completely cooked and there is no water left in the curry.


Recipe for Sambar:

15 pieces of Frozen drumstick
3/4 cup Toor dal (kandi pappu)
Salt as per taste
a pinch of Turmeric powder
1 tsp Red chilli powder
1 tbsp MTR Sambar powder
1 big lemon size tamarind ball
3-4 curry leaves

For tempering/tadka/talimpu:

2 tsp oil
1 tsp urad dal
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
a pinch of hing

1. Wash and pressure cook dal until 3 whistles. Soak tamarind in plenty of water.

2. Squeeze the tamarind pulp and to that add the drumstick pieces, curry leaves and cook over medium flame.

3. Add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and cooked mashed dal with some water. After it comes to first boil, add the sambar powder and let it boil until drumstick pieces are completely cooked and the sambar should be little thick. So wait until water evaporates, if you see too much of water in the sambar.

4. In another pan fry the tempering ingredients in 2 tsp oil and add to the sambar.

So those are the dishes with which we finished our sunday meals happily. Enjoy.

This is my contribution to RCI-Karnataka cuisine hosted by Asha at Foodie's Hope.

10 comments:

Asha said...

WooHoo!! Hima, that is a wonderful Thali with great dishes. Thank you so much for your hard work.I know how busy we are all are these days.I appreciate your entries!:))

Hima said...

Thank you asha, I still have to mail them to you.

Cynthia said...

Oh man, you made sambar with drumsticks! I want some, please :)

Roopa said...

Hima the thali looks comforting and yumm lovely dishes :)

Richa said...

hey, thali looks so good! liked ur cauliflower dish, it's my fav :)

RML said...

Hello Hima,
Yumm....Lovely curries and sambar.
Green beans recipe is new to me .I will try your version and let u know.
Thanks for sharing.
Madhuri

Sharmi said...

lovely and delicious! looks like a very satisfying meal.

Hima said...

Thanks richa, yes mine too. I love cauliflower. I never use to eat while I was in india as I was scared of worms in it. I am enjoying all varities ever since I landed in US.

Thanks Madhuri. Sure please try and let me know how it turned out.

Thanks Sharmi.

Rohini's kitchen said...

hmm..looks yummy!Thanks for sharing

Padma said...

Nice looking beans palya Hima, I am afraid I may not be able to participate in ur fav snack event, ya!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More