Tuesday, September 25

Dosavakayi (Dosakai Avakayi)/ Melon Cucumber Pickle

Some spices like cumin, mustard, fenugreek etc are used quite commonly in the south indian cooking. Be it curry, dal, sambar or chutneys we use mustard for sure in the tempering/tadka. But there are certain dishes in which these spices can show their presence predominantly. One such dish in which you can feel the presence of mustard seeds is Dosavakayi, an andhra pickle made with melon cucumbers.


Andhra is famous for its pickles like Avakayi (Pickle made with mango), Goose berries(Aamla/Usirikaya), Lime(Nimmakaya/Nimbu), Tomato and many other pickles made with varities of vegetables. I had some Melon cucumbers in my refrigerator and I decided to make avakayi with them. Mustard seeds are called Avalu in Telugu and so is the pickle named after them as Avakayi. It is a medley of vegetable and mustard seeds powder, with some salt and red chilli powder.

Here is the recipe for Dosavakayi:

3 cups Melon cucumbers chopped into 1/2" cubes
1/3 cup Mustard seed powder (Check below how I made)
1/3 cup Red chilli powder
1/3 cup Salt
1 tsp Turmeric powder (You can use 1/2 tsp if you do not like the smell of it)
2/3 cup Sesame oil (Nuvvula noone)

I made this pickle with the guidance of my mom. I never made pickles at home. I usually get them from India. My mom never taught and she says as long as I am here I will make them for you. She is scared that my hands will burn when I stick my hand into those chilli powders. That is so nice of her... though I was curious to learn them, I still let it go as she was so caring about me. Finally now I got a chance to make it myself and thank god, I did not have to stick my hand into it. I mixed it with a spoon.


I did not have mustard seed powder, so my mom suggested two solutions. One dry the mustard seeds in the hot sun for an hour and then grind them to powder or heat a pan on the stove, switch off the stove and pour some mustard seeds into that pan. Do not fry them, they just have to become hot thats it. Let them cool and then powder them in mixie. Sieve the powder to extract soft powder. Use 1/3 cup of that powder in the pickle.

Mix them all in a wide dish and take them into a plastic/glass bowl cover it tight and taste it after a day or two. That way the cucumber will get marinated in these spices and will taste excellent. You can serve this with warm rice and a dollop of ghee or oil. Enjoy.

Note: Please be cautious that you do not drop any water into the pickle as that can spoil it after few days. If you wash cucumbers, pat dry and see there is not water on them. You do not have to peel the cucumber let the skin stay on them.


This is my entry for Think Spice.. Think Mustard seeds event hosted by Sunita at Sunita's World.

16 comments:

Asha said...

Great entry.I think you will have to eat that within a short time,since cucumber has lot of water.Looks delicious:)

Sharmi said...

thats a very great and clever entry. dosavakaya is our favorite.

Hima said...

Thanks asha, btw, I dont think so, I am sure it stays for a month or two easily. May be because of the oil. I am not sure, but I have seen it being in a glass jar at my home for moths together.

Hima said...

Thanks Sharmi.

Cynthia said...

Hmmm another pickle recipe for me to try :)

Sreelu said...

Dosa avakayi na favorite, chesi chala rojulu ayyindi, thanks for the recipe malli try chestanu

Roopa said...

wow this is looking mouth watering :) great entry !

sunita said...

Wonderful recipe...thanks for sending it over.

Padma said...

I love Dosavakai,and even Dabbavakai too.. Loved this totally...yummy!

lakshmi said...

how long does this pickle stand?

RML said...

Hi Hima,
Mmmm....This is my favourite pickle
too.Dosavakai looks colorful
Madhuri

Hima said...

Thanks to all for dropping by my site to leave your valuable comments.

Hima said...

Lakshmi,

According to my mom, it stays fresh and good for a month and after that it will not get spoiled but the cucumber will become too tender and the taste changes. Well I never found any difference I liked it all the time. So I would say you can have it for atleast 2 months sealed in a glass jar.

Latha Narasimhan said...

Dosakai avakkai chala baga undhi hima!:) love all Andra picles and pachadis!

Tee said...

lipsmackingly delicious!

Hima said...

Thank you Latha and Tee.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More