Monday, August 13

Sunday Meals #5 - Indo-Chinese & Whats Your Favorite? Event

This time theme for this weekend meal was Indo-Chinese. Everybody in our family love indo-chinese food, including my mom. She never tasted vegetable biryani till today, can you believe that, for only one reason that it has garlic in it. And she goes weak in her knees when it comes to veg. manchurian and veg. fried. noodles. She calls the manchurian as bajji, which resemble in their shape exactly the same like bajjis.


Well, if you all have read the post of The Spice Cafe its true that the chinese people give a blank face when we ask them how to make manchurian. This happened to my friend who has a group of chinese friends. She is so fond of so called chinese food in india. She wanted to make it at home and when she asked for the recipe they said they don't have anything as such. Well, ofcourse she googled and found a recipe that meets her requirements. Thanks to her who passed it on to me to, with little modifications here and there, I cook this at home.

Why at home, why not have it outside, that is because unfortunately no indian restaurant in San Antonio serves indo-chinese food. Amazing... Oh! Ya!! that is true and there are many other foods that we miss here. Especially me as my husband has no clue what these are. Ever since I started making them at home he became a big fan for all these items. I will post here some of the other items that I was forced to make at home rather than having it in any restaurant.

So the list of items that I made are:

Dry Vegetable Manchurian (For my mom and for us to enjoy)
Dry Gobi Manchurian (On the request of a friend)
Veg. Fried Noodles

Recipe for Dry Vegetable Manchurian:

3 cups of chopped Cabbage
1 cup of chopped Carrot (I used food processor with chopper blade to chop cabbage and carrot)
1 cup All purpose flour
1 tsp Ginger-garlic paste
1/4 tsp Black pepper powder
Salt as per taste
Oil to fry

1. Combine all the above ingredients to form a batter. Do not add water as the vegetables has enough water to hold them together.

2. Make them into small balls and deep fry them until they turn golden colour on all sides.

For sauces:

2 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
1 medium Onion
3 small Green Chillies chopped very finely
1 big fat Garlic clove chopped very finely
1" piece of Ginger chopped very finely
2 tbsp Oil

1. Heat oil in a wok/pan and add the chopped green chillies, garlic, ginger. When they turn golden brown colour add onion.

2. After onion becomes translusent add the sauces sprinkle a tiny pinch of salt over it. Mix well and add the manchurian balls to this gravy.

3. Bring them all together such that each ball is coated well with the sauces. They are ready to be served.

Recipe for Gobi Manchurian:

1/2 of Medium Gobi (Cauliflower)
1 cup All purpose flour
1/4 cup Rice flour ( You can use corn flour also, I usually use Rice flour )
1 tsp Ginger-garlic paste
1/4 tsp Black Pepper powder
a pinch of turmeric powder
1/4 tsp Red chilli powder
Salt as per taste
Oil to deep fry.

1. Boil Gobi in plenty of water just until half cooked.

2. Mix the rest of ingredients with some water to form a thick batter.

3. Dip the gobi pieces in the batter, coat them nicely and then fry them in the hot oil.

For Sauces:
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
2 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
1 Medium size onion
2 Green Chillies chopped very finely
1 big fat Garlic Clove chopped very finely
1" piece of Ginger chopped very finely
2 tbsp Oil

1. Heat oil in a deep wok/pan, add the green chillies, garlic and ginger. When they turn golden brown, add the onion and saute until it turns translusent.

2. Add the sauces and sprinkle a tiny pinch of salt. Mix them well and add the manchurian and coat them properly with the sauces. Gobi-Manchurian is ready to be served.

Recipe for Noodles:

1 1/2 to 2 cups of cooked Rice Noodles (How to cook is given below)
1/2 of big Green bell pepper(Capsicum) thinly sliced
2 Carrots thinly sliced
1/4 cup thinly sliced Green beans ( I used frozen french cut beans)
3/4 cup thinly sliced Cabbage
2 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
1 tbsp Green chilli Sauce
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Red chilli Sauce
1/4 tsp Black Pepper powder
2 tbsp Oil
2 Green Chillies thinly sliced
1 fat Garlic Clove very finely chopped
1" piece of Ginger

1. Cook Noodles in plenty of salted water. Drain and run under cold water to get rid off excess starch.

2. In another pan/wok heat the oil and add the green chillies, garlic and ginger. When they turn golden brown add the chopped vegetables and black pepper powder.

3. Cook covered until the vegetables are cooked.

4. Add the sauces one by one and mix well into the vegetables. Add the noodles and mix well to bring them all together.

5. Take into a plate and serve them.

So that was good enough to fill us for the sunday lunch time. Enjoy guys...

Here goes the Event information:

Hi all, looking at so many events happening in the food blog world and taking part in some of them, I am inspired to host an event myself. Question is what to base the event on? What to call the baby as? There were couple of them that came to my mind, but this one won it. When people often ask what is your favorite, with out a second thought we take one name. So, the even that I would like to host is something similar to that. Every month I will ask you a question Whats your favorite .....? Ofcourse I will fill the blank by taking a theme for that month. Like any other events the due date for this event is 25th of every month. I will post the round up before end of that month.

For the month of September the theme is Whats Your Favorite Snack? Well, Snack because it matches my blog name and I would like to see some delicious snacks coming my way :)

It need not necessarily be an Indian Snack. It can be anything, from any part of the world. And do you think there is no scope for creativity, there is, if you have a snack born out of your creativity and that has become your favorite send it to me. So you do have a chance to wear your creativity cap and go ahead.

So all those who would like to participate in the event, please post a snack that is your favorite in your blog and send the permalink, with a photo to ybindsATgmailDOTcom. All those who do not have a blog send me the recipe and a photo so that I can post it here. The last date for this event is September 25th.

This being my first time attempt, if I missed anything to mention please do let me know. Please feel free to use the logo that I have created for this event and spread the word so that other bloggers can also participate. Hope to see you all participating and waiting to see the lovely snacks coming ...

33 comments:

Sharmi said...

loved the manchurians. pics looks too good. what a nice event!! good Start. keep it up.

Asha said...

All the dishes look yummy!:)
I love Chinese food too although I am not much into Indo-Chinese.But then nobody cooks REAL Chinese food except Chinese any way,right? ;D
I can only post 8 events in a month at Aroma. There are more now! I will try and squeeze in one for you too!Sept. will be busy for me .RCI K'taka hosting and kids school starts as well!:)

Hima said...

Thanks Sharmi.

Thanks asha, I would love to see you participate, but only if you can. Do not overwhelm yourself. Thanks once again.

Richa said...

what a delicious spread! love indo-chinese dishes, can i join you for lunch :)
snacks, wow! can't wait for that list ;)
good going, lemme' see if i can get something over for the party.

Arts said...

Wow Hima,
U r soo good at chinese food too.. am sure gonna try this.. i love chinese food.. i mean, Indian chinese.. no snakes n frogs ;)
A nice event to start with.. Am surely in for it!! :)

ramya said...

wow....manchurians....i miss them a lot.here we can't find good indo chineese food as it's better made in india only.nice chineese platter.

this event is good.what's ur fav snack.so next month we have a big snack festival in ur blog.

TBC said...

I just love Manchurian!You dish looks very good!

SeeC said...

Thanks for visiting my blog Hima.
You really have a wonderful collection over here.
I love Gobi Manchurian. Your pictures are really tempting. Perfectly made.

Nice initiative too. Let me see if i can contribute :)

BTW I have added your blog to my blogroll. Hope it is fine with you.

Hima said...

Thanks to all for taking time to visit my blog.

Roopa said...

wow delicious and yummy! anaother indi chinese lover :) all dishes looks delicious. oh my another event yeah loved the theme snacks thats too starting the month of shravana is auspicious for us and will surely contribute in :)

Vcuisine said...

The recipes are awesome hima. Looks tempting. Your event is inspiring to try my forgotten favorite snacks. Will try to participate. Viji

Tee said...

Indo-chinese rocks! Your dishes look mouth watering!
Great event...will definitel try and participate.

Asha said...

Hi Hima, I sent you my entry to your e mail. I was frying anyway,made something for you too!:))
See you later.

Pravs said...

Hi Hima.... i would like take part in this event. I have send an email with required details.

Indo-chinese looks good.

Namratha said...

Hi Hima, Indo-chinese looks fabulous..especially the Gobi manchuri. I too had a Chinese friend and she just gave me a strange look when I asked her about Gobi Manchuri..hehe! And lovely event, will be sending in my entry soon.

Suma Gandlur said...

I am in the same league as your mom. I hate garlic too and never prepare biryani, pulao kind of things. Even If I do, They are with out garlic.
Count me in for the event.

Hima said...

Thanks to all of you for taking time to drop by the blog and leave your valuable comments.

Bharathy said...

Hima, are you sure the deadline is on SEP 25th and not AUG 25th..??
I was a little late to know abt the wonderful event.Am planning to post a snack in next 3 days!!Will you receive mine??

Mona said...

Hi Hima, What an idea for an event!! Snacks ! :-) I will surely participate n this event, probably with with more than one entry.., or is it that each one one entry?! Lemme know. See ya

www.monaafzal.wordpress.com

Nags said...

i am definitely participating in this one :) thanks for hosting. deadline is sept 25th right?

Padma said...

Wow seeing those chinese food photos brought back all the fond memories of road-site eating in Mumbai, Nice event

SHUBHA said...

Ohhh how much i love snacks and here is my fav event...:) hey can it be chaats too.. or just dry snacks.... please specify...:)..iam a new blogger.

Raaga said...

Lovely dish. I'd love to participate in your event. Let's see what I come up with

Rajitha said...

i have a question..should the snack be made from scratch completely or can it be semi-homemade??

Mansi Desai said...

Hi hima, first time here, and couldn't resist favourite snack event!!:) your dry manchurian looks great, esp after I posted my manchurian gravy recipe a few days ago:)

now i need to try this one out...

A kitchen scientist & a white rat hubby!!! said...

Hi Hima,
I had sent u an email, to clarify a small doubt in posting an entry to your event. Didn't happen to receive any eply from u..cud you please check if you have recieved any..mu email id is son.santho@gmail.com
cheers,
sona

Timepass said...

Dear Hima,
I have mailed you with a link to my contribution for this event. Pls do get back.

Siri said...

Hi Hima,

Lovely pictures...:D and all the dishes look sooooooo yummmmmmmmmyyyyy.... manchurian is my family's all time favorite snack, but didn;t know how to make them.. thanks for sharing.. will these soon..:)

Siri said...

Hey Hima,

Sent my entry today. Hope u got the mail..:D

Apple said...

Gobi Manchurian looks delicious Hima..

I've sent my entry today..Hope u recd it...Cheers

Hima said...

Hi Timepass, I am not sure if I received your entry. Can you please tell me which one is it. Thanks.

Hey Siri, I think I responded to your entry. If not, just to let you know, I received it.

Apple(keerthi), I received your entry. Thanks for sending them to me.

bidisha said...

hi,this is a very nice blog..and very useful too,take ur time to visit my blog too

Preethi Sriram said...

Wow Nice recipe and the manchurian looks yummy :)

Please do visit my blogs
http://preethisculinary.blogspot.com
http://yenkaivannam.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More