Thursday, August 16

Express: Kandi pachadi and Pachi pulusu (Toor dal chutney and Tamarind Soup)

During weekdays, with heavy work schedule you don't really find much time for cooking. While I was in hyderabad, I had to do multi tasking to reach office in time. You have to be at bus stop by the right time, otherwise if you miss the bus, god knows when you will reach the office. So, I got used to run with the time.

Well, the way that I make the food was different at that time. I never stick to kitchen for continuous 30 minutes at all. Like I set the cooker and go do some other work, come back after the cooker is done. Make the tadka for curries, dals etc., and then done with both cooking and other work too. I continued the method even after coming here. So I never counted how many minutes am I spending in the kitchen until the Summer Express Cooking event was started.

Ofcourse it is always pleasure to watch Rachel Ray in the food channel. She sounds so cool, don't even look like she is under 30 minute crunch time and has to complete cooking that meal. Well, it was pleasure to be a Rachel in my home for those few minutes in the kitchen, and surprisingly, I could cook not one, not two but three different varieties of dishes. I have a rice cooker to cook in the microwave which has made my life so easy I got to tell you. It was the khoj of my hubby and it is perfect.

Rice cooker to cook in Microwave

During weekdays I strictly cook andhra dishes as I do not have to measure the quantities of ingredients with measuring spoons and cups. I can just eye ball it.

So here is the list of items that I made:

Kandi pachadi (Toor dal chutney)
Pachi pulusu (Tamarind soup)
Sorakaya/Aanapakaya Kura (Bottle gourd curry)

White Rice, right next to it Sorakaya kura, next Pachi Pulusu and on top Kandi pachadi

Recipe for Kandi pachadi:

1/4 cup Toor dal (kandi pappu)
3 long Red Chillies (Endu mirapakayalu)
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds (jeela karra)
Salt as per taste

Recipe for Pachi Pulusu:

1/2 a big onion chopped
1 small lemon sized ball of Tamarind
2 tsp besan (Gram flour/ Senagapindi)
Salt as per taste
1/4 tsp Red chilli powder
a pinch turmeric powder (pasupu)
3-4 curry leaves chopped

For tempering:
1/4 tsp Urad dal (minappappu)
1/4 tsp Chana dal(senagapappu)
1/4 tsp Cumin seeds(jeela karra)
1/4 tsp Mustard seeds (Aavalu)
1 tbsp Oil

Recipe for Sorakaya Kura:

1/2 of long sorakaya ( approx. 1 1/2 cups of chopped sorakaya)
2 green chillies chopped
1 tbsp coconut powder
3 -4 curry leaves chopped
a pinch of turmeric powder (pasupu)

For tempering:
1/2 tsp urad dal(minappappu)
1/2 tsp channa dal (senagapappu)
1/4 tsp mustard seeds (aavalu)
1 tbsp oil

0-7:
Switch on two stoves, set one pan for pulusu and another one for pachadi. Add oil in the pan for pulusu and add the ingredients for tempering. Chop the onion and add it, once the dals turn golden brown. Soak tamarind in some water.

Add toor dal and red chillies in the other pan for frying. Fry for a min, until the toor dal turns light brown in colour. Do not let it become black as it tastes bitter. Once done, remove from stove and cumin seeds.

Wash the rice and set the cooker in the microwave. You will have to do this while toor dal is frying as the stove is set to medium heat there is no chance that they will turn black. Set the microwave for 18 minutes.

7-15:
Once the onion turns translucent, extract and add the tamarind juice to it. Add salt, turmeric, red chilli powder, curry leaves and let it cook.

Set a pan with some water on the stove. Peel and chop Sorakaya and add to that boiling water. add some turmeric powder and salt.

15-23:
Take the fried pachadi ingredients into a blender and add salt to it and blend by adding water to make it into a smooth paste. Chutney is ready.

Take two tsp of besan, mix it in little water and add to the boiling pulusu. Let it boil.

23-28:
Remove the pulusu from the stove.

Remove the boiling water from the sorakaya and set aside. Set the same pan on the stove, once the water is evaporated and the pan is clean, heat oil and add the tempering ingredients, green chillies. Once they turn golden brown add the sorakaya, coconut powder and curry leaves. Mix them all together and leave it for a minute on the stove.

For me in the mean time clean the counter to take pictures.

28-30:
Transfer all of them into serving bowls to click a picture.

I must say I had to spend some extra time in taking some of the ingredients that I ran out. Like salt, I had to pour it from the new box into the one that I use normally. The urad dal and channa dal, I ran out of them in my small containers, so I had to fill them in the middle, same with the besan. That is the time I realised how pathetic I am. I have to clean the counter immediately to take the pictures, can't do it later. If you cut all that time, it can be done less than 30 minutes.

This is my contribution to Mallugirl of Malabar Spices for her Express Cooking event.

Of these, Kandi pachadi(above picture) is also going to Sunita of Sunita's world for her Think Spice - Cumin Event.

15 comments:

Latha said...

Hi hima, first time here. Nice blog. you are the first to openly announce your age. Wonder how you find time to blog?

Latha said...

Your entry for the events are good. especially pappu pulusu.

Arts said...

Wow.. that was superfast :)
nice spread in 30 mins!

Hima said...

Hi Latha, hehe, I din't realise until you pointed out about the age. But thats ok, whats there to hide, I am what I am, can't go younger by hiding right!!! And may I correct you, it is pachi pulusu and not pappu pulusu. Thanks

Hi arts, I did not know that I can cook that fast, until I counted the minutes on that day :)

Richa said...

hey the meal looks yum, so many yummy dishes in a flash :) have heard a lot @ that micro rice cooker, looks handy. btw thanks for removing that word thingy.

sunita said...

Hi Hima, thanks for the entry...glad you could join.

Vcuisine said...

Lovely express recipes Hima. Love the Pachadi. Mouth watering. Viji

SeeC said...

MW Rice cooker looks good. Thats so cute of you to display the timer along.

I love andhra recipes. Mouth watering.

Cynthia said...

Hima, after all this time, I now exactly what the bottle gourd is! I recognised it from your pic. We call that squash in Trinidad and Guyana! I always get excited when I recognise familiar foods with different names :)

Wow! A rice cooker that can be placed in a microwave, talk about fast cooking.

Hima said...

Thanks to all who took time to drop by the blog and leave your valuable comments.

Sharmi said...

wow, too may dishes and you sure are an express:)). I can settle down with kandhi pachadi and pachi pulusu.

Suma Gandlur said...

That's express cooking. I love kandi pachchadi and I have already posted it. We cook the koora nad the pachi pulusu same way. The only thing is we add rice flour instead of besan.

Sreelu said...

Hima,

First time at your blog,I love kandi pachadi.I make pachipulusu ith eggplant.
My you have a good collection of recipes, added you to my blogroll

Hima said...

Hi Sharmi, Thank you so much.

Hi Suma, I don't love kandi pachadi but ok, I love pesara pachadi. Got to do that some time. This one is for my hubby.

Hi Sreelu, Thank you so much. My mother-in-law makes pachi pulusu with eggplant. I am not aware of it.

Roo said...

Hi Suni, Pasipappu pachidi reminds me of my mom's cooking in India.... I love to eat this with Rasam...This would be on my tomorrow's menu for lunch. Thanks, Roo - Germany

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More