Wednesday, July 11

Paneer Butter Masala

Also called as Paneer Makhani, is a famous punjabi dish that is available in all most all the indian restaurants in the world. In hyderabad, all the restaurants serve this dish by name of Paneer Butter Masala, so when I landed in US, I was disappointed looking at the menu. I could not find Paneer Butter Masala, and wondered is it not north indian dish? But later after a bit of research I came to know that it is called by name Paneer Makhani. Whatever it is called but it is just a killer eaten with Butter Naan.

I tested my culinary skills by making it at home to meet my spice level. Most of the times when ever I had it in the restaurants I found it to be bland and a bit sweet. And thankfully, I fell in love with the one that I made and would like to make it quite often. I tried to find a low fat paneer in the indian stores but could not find. Knowing that it is called indian cottage cheese, I bought one box of low fat cottage cheese from local groceries stores. To my surprise it was liquidy kind of one and later remembered that it was served to me in the hospital when I delivered my baby. So, there is no other go but to try to make a low fat one at home with low fat milk. As my husband is not a big fan of paneer I never tried it seriously. But for fun sake atleast I would like to try once.



Anyways lets get back to the recipe, here it is:

Ingredients:

3/4 cup cubed paneer
2 medium onion
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 serrano pepper ( sliced into 4 pieces length wise and cut into half)
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp cumin, coriander powder (jeera, dhania powder)
2 tbsp cashewnuts (ground to paste with some water) (jeedipappu)
a pinch of turmeric powder (pasupu)
2 tsp ginger-garlic paste (allam-vellulli paste)
1/2 tsp crushed kasuri methi
2 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp garam masala ( I used Baadshah brand )
salt as per taste

1. Boil the onion in lot of water until it is tender. Drain and blend it into a paste.

2. Fry paneer on all sides until golden brown, strain and keep aside. In the same pan add the butter and after it melts, add the serrano pepper and onion. Saute until onion becomes translucent. Add ginger-garlic paste and saute for a minute.

3. Add garam masala, coriander, cumin powder, turmeric, red chilli powder and cashewnut paste. Mix everything well, add some water and cook for 5 minutes.

4. Add tomato sauce, crushed kasuri methi and salt. Add some water and cook for 5 minutes. Add the fried paneer, cover and cook for another 5 minutes.

Serve it with chapathi or naan. I had it with home made naan and tomato rice. It was delicious. Hope you will also enjoy making it. This is my second entry to RCI - Punjabi Cuisine, hosted by Richa of As Dear As Salt.

3 comments:

Vcuisine said...

This is mouth watering. I could not resist myself from browsing the other posts too Hima. Nice recipes you have. Will go through definitely later. Have a great weekend. Viji

Arts said...

Tempting! :D And seems wuite easy!
Got to try this soon.. u too have lovely entries for RCI.. thx for sharing!

Richa said...

will take paneer anytime :)
lovely!
thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More