Thursday, July 12

Oats Waffles With Fruits

I once happened to eat oats something ( I don't even remember name of it ) in costco. There was a stall put up and a lady served it in small cups. My husband took two cups and gave one to me. I had a tiny pinch of it into my mouth and threw the cup away. Not to offend anyone but it was horrible. Neither sweet nor spicy. It was so bland. My husband said it is good for health and most of the health bars contain it as one ingredient. I did not bother about it at that time.

Later he went to groceries store to buy something else and he came home with the two boxes and said they gave oatmeal as free with the one that he bought. I thought to myself great, why is it behind me. Its been 6 months and it was sitting in my pantry. I saw savory upma version on Dr. Nandita's Saffron Trail and I dared to open and cook that. To my surprise it tasted great. That was then I started using it little by little. You know what I think oats has no flavor by itself it accepts any flavor that you add it in, either sweet or savor. I think there was a purpose for that free oatmeal to come to my home. May be it wanted to teach me how to eat healthy food.

Thanks to My Food Court who selected oats for breakfast, I started exploring the recipes that I can make with oats and I came up with few good ones. One out of those is this Oats waffles with fruits.

Waffles served with Maple Syrup, Watermelon and a dollop of whipped cream

First time I ate waffles at my husband's boss lake house. She made nice waffles and served with Maple Syrup. Loved it and by very next weekend I was ready to make waffles at home. I bought the maker and Aunt Jemaima Pancake Waffle mix and made them at home. So lets get making some now:

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups Oats (Old fashioned Oats)
1/2 cup Bisquick
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup light vanilla soy milk
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp oil
1 large banana
1/4 cup watermelon

1. Blend oats with water, sugar, salt, banana and watermelon in a blender to make a smooth paste.

2. Remove and add bisquick, soy milk, vanilla extract and oil. Combine it into the mixture to make sure there are no lumps.

3. Heat waffle maker and pour two spoon fulls of batter into it. Cover and cook until done. Your quick, easy, yummy breakfast is ready.


Another closer look at waffles

They are neither too crispy not too soggy. Turned out well.

Serve it with maple syrup or honey or with vanilla ice cream. I served them with maple syrup, watermelon and a dollop of whipping cream. How cool do they look haan..... Enjoy.

This is my entry to WBB #13 - Oats hosted by My Food Court.

16 comments:

Jyothi said...

Hi Hima, first time at your blog. Nice blog with yummy recipes. Oats waffles with fruits looks great. Thanks for sharing.

BTW thanks for dropping at my blog. I too added your blog in my blogger's list. Thanks for adding my blog in your list. Keep on visiting dear friend.

Sharmi said...

that looks very yummy and innovative. very healthy too.

swapna susarla said...

Hi hima
the waffels are looking wonderful!!u have lot of goodies in here.
Thanks for visiting my blog and for ur wishes.

aruna said...

Hima, Wonderful presentation! I cant wait to try your oatmeal waffles.

Asha said...

That is a great breakfast Hima!I would skip the cream,but Waffles are yummy.

Bharathy said...

First time in your place HIMA..those waffles look really crispy and crunchy...wonderful combo of cerials and fruits and all...healthy and light...a perfect breakfast!!!
Thanx a lot for stopping by in my blog...:)..welcome to your precious comment!!!

RML said...

Hi Hima,
Looks soooooo delicious.Havent made waffles at home but I loved them when I had at my frds house.
Sure wd try...
Thanks for sharing

Suma Gandlur said...

watermelon oats waffles - very novel indeed.

Hima said...

Hey Asha!! That was fat free whipping cream. You can have that very little once in a while. I am sorry I did not mention that it was fat free. And thanks to all for taking time to stop by my blog.

Vcuisine said...

Oats waffles sounds interesting hima. Very nice. Viji

deena said...

cook with love: my first MEME..you have been tagged for a meme

Roopa said...

oats waffles looks yummy!

Richa said...

hey, that is such a creative entry!

Laavanya said...

You have some wonderful recipes here Hima... The waffles look so tempting.
I've tagged you for a meme...
http://cookerycorner.blogspot.com

DEEPA said...

very different combho ...waffles are very tempting ....

Sukanya Ramkumar said...

This is very different....Love it....Nice photo...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More