Tuesday, July 10

Naan

I digged into my recipes note book and pulled out the recipe for Naan as I decided to make it this time at home. Naan is a popular Indian bread that is served in almost all the indian restaurants. It is made out of white flour and is little thicker than the usual chapathis. They are also softer than the rotis. Not for sure a low fat food, hence I have it occasionally when I go to restaurants. Normally naan is made using tandoor or clay oven, but I used my oven with broiler to make them.


Ingredients:

3 cups All purpose flour ( need to try with whole wheat flour next time and see how it turns out)
4 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 cup warm water
3 tbsp yogurt (curd,perugu)
1 1/2 tsp dry instant yeast

1. To the warm water add the dry yeast and sugar and stir till the yeast is dissolved. Leave aside for 10 minutes and you will see white layer formed on the top. It indicates that the yeast is active and it is frothing.

2. In a bowl with flour and salt, make a well in the center and add the above yeast mixture. Add the yogurt and ghee and knead the entire thing to make a soft dough.

3. Grease the bowl, put the kneaded dough in it. Cover and let it rest for about 2 hours or until the dough doubles in volume.


4. Preheat the broiler to high. Cover a cookie pan with aluminum foil and grease it with some ghee.

5. Punch down the dough and knead again. Divide the dough into equal balls.

4. Roll each ball into a circle using some flour. See that it is about 1/2" thick.

5. Place the rolled dough circles onto the greased pan and cook under the broiler on both sides. Caution: keep an eye on the naan while cooking to make sure it is cooking evenly on both sides and not turning black. (I spoiled one naan by leaving it unattended and after 3 min. when I checked it turned out black and my smoke alarm beeped as soon as I opened the over door. So out of experience I learned that I should make naan one after another and taking care while cooking it.)

They turned out great and I served them with paneer butter masala and chole curries. Enjoy...

This is going to Richa of As Dear As Salt for RCI - Punjabi Cuisine.

4 comments:

Asha said...

Home made Naans are the best! I see you got a nice recipe for it.
I tried many ,came out crispy and then one day I tried one recipe which was fabulous.That's what I use now!:)
I have posted it too,try that too next time.Great entry for RCI:)

Roopa said...

Great entry for RCI!
i still have to work on this one fine day.

Hima said...

Thanks asha, sure will check and try your recipe too.

Thanks roopa.

Madhavi said...

thanks for a nan recipe without egg.most of the recipes i saw had eggs .i wud prefer this one.will try it out and let u know how this comes out

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More