Thursday, June 21

Vankaya pulusu pachadi (Eggplant Tamarind Soup)

Hey all, this is one of my favorite recipe that my mom use to make for us while we were kids. She is an excellent cook with excellent culinary skills. Hmm... whose mom is not... for every one our mom is the best cook of all. Don't you think so?? I started learning how to cook from my mom when I was 8 yrs old and now I teach her some good recipes that I come across in the food blogs. So here is one recipe that I would like to share with you guys, I am sure you will love it too...
Ingredients:

2 Chinese Eggplants (big and fat)
1 small juicy tomato
1 small onion
1 tsp urad dal
1 tsp chana dal
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp red chilli powder
salt to taste
a pinch of turmeric
lemon sized tamarind
1 to 2 tsp jaggery (as per your taste)
coriander leaves to garnish
1. Soak tamarind in water. Apply oil on the eggplants, set the oven to broiler and broil the eggplants for about 10 min. on each side. You may even roast them on the stove top.

2. Heat a tsp of oil in a pan and add the urad, chana, mustard. Once they turn to brown color add onion and saute until it becomes translucent.

3. Add tomatoes, add 1/4 cup of water, cover and cook until tomatoes become tender.

4. Now take the pan off the stove, peel the eggplants, extract the tamarind pulp and put them into the same pan. Mash the eggplants with a fork.

5. Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric and a 1 to 1 1/2 cups of water. Add a tsp of jaggery or sugar. Mix them all together and your pulusu pachadi is ready to be served. It goes well with rice. We usually make cabbage pappu kura and vanakaya pulusu pachadi and have them with rice. That is a good combination says my ammamma. This is more like pulusu than like pachadi. Enjoy........

This is my entry for A to Z of Indian Vegetables hosted my Nupur at One Hot Stove. V for Vankaya pulusu pachadi.

1 comments:

Nupur said...

sweet-sour-spicy-smoky....oh that looks really tasty!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More