This is my contribution for alphabet 'U' of A-Z of Indian vegetables by Nupur at One Hot Stove. This is the first time I made these and they are such a hit. My husband likes pakodi, vada etc., a lot and loves to eat them whenever there is SPURS basket ball game. By the way he is a die hard fan of SPURS. I usually make ullipai pakodi (Onion pakodi) which is his favorite. This is a snack which is rich is protein as I used Edamame ( young soy beans ). So here is the recipe:
1/2 cup Urad dal
1/3 cup Edamame seeds (I used frozen so I just thawed, did not soak like urad dal)
1/2 cup Ullipai (onion)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
1" ginger peice
3-4 green chillies
Oil to deep fry
1. Wash and soak urad dal for 3 hours.
2. Grind Urad dal, edamame, ginger, green chillies and salt with very very little water. The batter should be really thick so that they will be crispy.
3. Add jeera and ullipai (onion) to the batter.
4. Pour oil in a kadai and heat it.
5. Drop small amounts of the mixture into the hot oil and deep fry them until they turn into golden brown.
6. Remove them onto a plate and serve them with any sauce or chutney that you like.