Sunday, June 17

Orange Pulav - Orange flavoured Veg. Kurma

A couple of days back, I was browsing through the TV channels and as usual I left the food channel on. It was Rachel Ray with same mesmerizing eyes and non-stop talk went on saying that she got inspired by Indian dish called "Lemon Rice" and came out with a complete Thai meal working around the Orange flavor. Hmmm... that sounds interesting and guess what it is ORANGE. I thought, girl thats a good one at the right time. Though I already contributed two of my dishes for AFAM - Orange, why not one more. Those were two sweet dishes and this will be a savory one. Taking Rachel's dish as inspiration, I came out with a complete meal with Orange flavored Indian dishes for my weekend on Sunday. So here is the recipe, hope you will all enjoy this one:

Orange - Banana Milk shake, Orange pulav with Orange flavored Veg. Kurma
Ingredients for Pulav:

1 cup Basmati Rice
2 small cinnamon sticks
2 small cloves
2 cardamom pods skin removed
1 1/2 cups water
2 tsp Orange zest
2 tbsp Orange juice
2 tsp oil
salt to taste

1. Wash and set aside the Rice.
2. Heat oil in a dish, add cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Once they start spluttering, add the rice and fry for a minute. Add water, juice, zest and salt.
3. Let the rice cook and your pulav is ready.
To make the dish rich, you may fry cashews and raisins in a tsp of ghee and pour them over the pulav. I added a pinch of Orange food color.

Ingredients for Kurma:

3 small Carrots
3 big pods of a Cauliflower
1/4 cup of Green Peas
1 medium onion
2 green chillies
2 tsp Orange zest
1/4 cup Orange juice
1/4 cup Peanuts
1 tbsp Poppy seeds (ghasa ghasalu)
1/2 cup coconut
3 small cinnamon sticks
3 small cloves
3 Cardamom pods skin removed
1 tsp ginger garlic paste


1. Dry roast poppy seeds, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom in a pan and set a side. Dry roast peanuts and remove the skin.
2. Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan and green chillies and onion. After it becomes translucent add ginger-garlic paste saute for a min. and then add the chopped vegetables. Cover and cook.

3. In the mean time grind the peanuts, poppy seeds, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and coconut into a smooth paste.
4. Add this paste to the vegetables, add 1/2 cup of water, orange zest, orange juice and add salt, a pinch of turmeric and cook until the vegetables become soft.
With the remaining Orange, I made a orange-banana milk shake and my lunch for Sunday afternoon is done.

Cool haan... thanks Rachel for giving me such a brilliant idea to use a fruit in a savory dish. Trust me it was mouth watering and I enjoyed it.

4 comments:

Asha said...

Very cool! Very creative!!:))

Hima said...

Thank you Asha, I am almost blushing ;-)

Sharmi said...

sorry for posting my comment so late. was very busy lately.
I am taking a picture of the kurma too for the round up from your blog.
thanks again for the lovely entry.

Priyanka said...

the korma looks delicious!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More