Tuesday, June 19

Khaman Dhokla

One day when I was in Hyderabad, I went to a bakery to have a Veg. Puff. I saw in a packet a very appealing yellow cubes and I thought them to be some sweet. But later learned them to be Khaman Dhokla. Sincerely, I am not a great fan of them, but my husband sure is. He had a gujarati friend in his University who made him these. After I came, he asked me to make them, I blinked and said I don't know how to make them. Later I searched online and found a recipe which I tried couple of times but did not turn out that great. Yesterday I tried them once again and they were just hit. The only difference I made is I used ENO - Fruit salt in the recipe instead of Lemon juice and Soda-bicarb. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

1 cup Gram flour (Senaga pindi)
1/2 cup Yogurt
1" piece ginger
1-2 green chillies ( I used one big Serrano pepper)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp ENO - fruit salt
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp oil
1/2 cup water1. Grind the ginger and chillies to a paste. If they are not grinding to a smooth paste then add yogurt to the same jar and grind. I did that.

2. Add that mixture to the flour, add salt, sugar, turmeric and oil. Beat them all together until there are no lumps left.

3. Add water little by little and mix everything to bring it to right consistency. It should not be too pouring.
4. Grease a cooker tin. Add the fruit salt to the mixture and mix it gently. Pour immediately into the greased tin and pressure cook without whistle for 18-20 min.
5. Remove and let it cool. In the mean time, heat 1 tsp oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, hing and chopped curry leaves to that. When the mustard seeds start popping pour that on to the dhokla and cut them into small cubes. Take them onto a plate and serve them with any sauce or chutney that you like.
Enjoy....... My husband had them for yesterday snack and today breakfast.

3 comments:

Apple said...

I know its too late to comment..But still, I love to make these at home Hima...I knew the recipe before but somehow pushing off the task ahead...your step by step procedure is so clear that I can wait no more to make these at home..Thanks a lot for sharing this...

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Any substitutions for ENO Fruit Salt. I really want to try this receipe.

Hima said...

You may substitute it with Soda bi-carb, but somehow the end result turns out to be slightly red in colour. Using ENO keeps it yellow in colour hence I used that. Try with soda bi-carb and let me know how did they come out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More