Wednesday, June 27

Eggplant Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers

Eggplant stuffed Jalapeno Poppers with Eggplant dip

We ( me and my husband ) visited one of his friend's house. I was still new to US and do not know much about the food here. And on top of that we are vegetarian, so I was a bit worried about the food that I will have to eat at their house. I am not a big fan of pasta as well. So, I told my husband why don't we take a pizza and go to his house instead of going empty hands, thinking that it will save me. He agreed and we took the delicious pizza hut pizza "Veggie Lovers without mushrooms instead jalapenos" (my favorite pizza hot and spicy). Its a different story that I locked the car with keys inside and his friend had to come to help us out. Need not say, we were late. After we reached their house, there was a warm welcome from both wife and husband. We talked about lot of things, watched out marriage video. She is like Rachel Ray non-stop talking, but enjoyable. Then she served us with pizza and jalapeno poppers. I looked at my husband with a question mark face, asking him with my eyes, is this good to eat. He nodded his head and I gave it a bite. My goodness, they were superb. It was cheese stuffed jalapeno poppers, came out of oven, warm, spicy and tasty. Ever since then, I make sure to get them once in a while at home and bake in the oven. This time I tried little different, instead of stuffing cheese, I stuffed eggplant and they turned out superb too. I made a eggplant, yogurt dip to go along with them. So here we go:

Ingredients for Stuffing: 1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 Small Tomato
1 Big large Eggplant
1 tsp of oil

1. Broil the Eggplant in a broiler for about 5 to 10 min. on each side until done.

2. Heat the oil in a small pan, add cumin seeds, once they start spluttering, add tomato and cook until tomato becomes soft and mushy.

3. Peel the skin of eggplant. Blend the tomato, eggplant, little of chopped coriander leaves and salt as per your taste in a blender and keep it aside.
Ingredients for Poppers: 8 to 10 Jalapenos
1/2 cup Maida (All purpose flour)
1 cup Bread Crumbs (More if needed)

1. Make a slit on one side length wise on each Jalapeno and remove seeds out of them.

2. Stuff the above mixture into each of these.

3. Heat enough oil in a pan to deep fry them. Mix All purpose flour with some water and salt to make a smooth paste. It should not be too pouring, it should be at right consistency to coat the jalapeno.

4. Dip each jalapeno into the flour mixture first and then dip them into the bread crumbs to coat them properly. Then put them into oil and deep fry them until done.

For the dip I mixed the remaining stuffing mixture with yogurt and added a dash of salt. For tempering I used a tsp of oil, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and a dash of hing and poured over the dip. Mix them together and serve the poppers with this dip. Enjoy them...
Stay tuned I will be back quite soon with traditional Mirchi Bajji, my family's favorite snack.



This is going to JFI - for the month of July hosted by Sangeeta at Ghar Ka Khana.

7 comments:

Asha said...

Eggplants instead of Cheese or sourcream in Jalapenos is a great idea!:)

Roopa said...

wow that is indeed a great idea! looks delicious,

Richa said...

hey, that is such a cool idea!
btw i would like to try ur orange flavor rava kesari and had a Q, do u recommend using fresh orange juice or the store bot?
thanks

Hima said...

I used fresh oranges to extract the juice. I did not use the store bought. So, I would suggest you to do the same. Try and let me know how did that turn out.

Arts said...

this is very creative dish.. thx for sharing!

RML said...

Hi Hima,
Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment in my blog.Wow This is the first time at your blog here.You have a wonderful blog here and the recipes are interesting and very helpful for me( as its vegetarian),I wonder how I missed your blog all these days.
Thanks for sharing.
Will keep in touch,hope u dont mind adding your blog to my blog buddy's list.
Have a nice day!
Madhuri

Sophie said...

WOW (impressed look). Your eggplant dish looks so yummy.

Here I bought a sauce pack for Sauce for Spicy Garlic Egg-plant so as to skip all the seasonings! and i will try this friday after work.
http://yummiexpress.freetzi.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More