Friday, June 15

Aratikaya pulusu kura ( Plantain tamarind curry)

This is just a simple curry which my husband liked the most. I like plantains that we get in India and I miss them here in San Antonio. We don't get good quality plantains. Last week I happened to go to Dallas, to attend Sonu Nigam and Asha Bhonsle concert. So I bought couple of them there in indian groceries store. I tried this yesterday and my husband loved it. I usually make 3 to 4 different varieties of dishes with every vegetable. This is one of the variety that I make with plantain. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 small plantain
2 green chillies ( as per your spice level)
1/2 tsp urad dal
1/2 tsp channa dal
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp oil ( I usually use non stick cooking spray )
3 to 4 curry leaves roughly chopped
1 lime size tamarind
Salt as per taste

1. Remove the skin, cut into small cubes and boil plantain in water with salt and a pinch of turmeric until they become soft. Soak the tamarind in little warm water.

2. Remove the water. In a separate pan heat the oil and add urad, channa, cumin, mustard, green chillies and curry leaves. When the dals turn golden brown colour, add the boiled plantain.

3. Extract the tamarind pulp and pour that into the pan.. Stir until every thing comes together and forms a thick gravy. The curry is ready to be served. Serve it with hot rice or you may have it with phulkas also. Enjoy......

oh! by the way, the concert was excellent and I enjoyed thoroughly....

2 comments:

Asha said...

Love the plantains too.Tamarind curry is simple and delicious.Liked you entry to A to Z as well:)
Happy Father's day to your hubby.

sreepada said...

It is simple to make and tasty...thanks for the post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More